Im exp(-rm)

• Thread starter gkannan16
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Assuming 'm' is deterministic the probability distribution of a Random Variable(R.V) r is f(r)=m exp(-rm) Now m itself is a another R.V with a probability distribution g(m). Is it correct to say that now the probability distribution of 'r' is f(r)=E_m [m exp(-rm)] where E_m is the statistical expectation operation with respect to 'm'. If it is correct can some one give me a mathematical reference (some journal publications or book)?

Homework Equations

f(r)=m exp(-rm)

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Answers and Replies

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author

Homework Statement

Assuming 'm' is deterministic the probability distribution of a Random Variable(R.V) r is f(r)=m exp(-rm) Now m itself is a another R.V with a probability distribution g(m). Is it correct to say that now the probability distribution of 'r' is f(r)=E_m [m exp(-rm)] where E_m is the statistical expectation operation with respect to 'm'. If it is correct can some one give me a mathematical reference (some journal publications or book)?

Homework Equations

f(r)=m exp(-rm)

That doesn't look right. The final f(r), after accounting for the distribution of m's, should not depend on m.

I think you need to weight the first f(r) (the one that does depend on m) by g(m), then integrate that over m to get the final f(r).

Thanks a lot for your reply. I agree with you that the final f(r), after accounting for the distribution of m, should not depend on m. Now shall i follow these steps

1. First find f(r) as a function of r and m where m is a random variable with the distribution g(m).
After that
2. Now int_{range of m}f(r)g(m)dm to get rid of m and find the final expression for f(r)

Are these steps correct?