1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Im exp(-rm)

1. Jun 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assuming 'm' is deterministic the probability distribution of a Random Variable(R.V) r is f(r)=m exp(-rm) Now m itself is a another R.V with a probability distribution g(m). Is it correct to say that now the probability distribution of 'r' is f(r)=E_m [m exp(-rm)] where E_m is the statistical expectation operation with respect to 'm'. If it is correct can some one give me a mathematical reference (some journal publications or book)?

2. Relevant equations

f(r)=m exp(-rm)

3. The attempt at a solution

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That doesn't look right. The final f(r), after accounting for the distribution of m's, should not depend on m.

I think you need to weight the first f(r) (the one that does depend on m) by g(m), then integrate that over m to get the final f(r).

4. Jun 20, 2009 #3
    Thanks a lot for your reply. I agree with you that the final f(r), after accounting for the distribution of m, should not depend on m. Now shall i follow these steps

1. First find f(r) as a function of r and m where m is a random variable with the distribution g(m).
    After that
    2. Now int_{range of m}f(r)g(m)dm to get rid of m and find the final expression for f(r)

Are these steps correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook