I'm feeling sorry for the Penn Staters

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary, Penn State has banned drinks and food in all 370 general-purpose classrooms at University Park. The only exception is for water bottles. The reason for this is that the school wants to clean up the classrooms more often.
Gokul43201 said:
What would you do? Hire "classroom cops" to impose spot fines on violators?

No, I think they should foot the bill for clean-up, like they've always done. I'd be curious to see the numbers behind their "epidemic of garbage" hyperbole. The article only gives the cost for a single year.

Sometimes you got to deal with large bodies of people with restrictions against frequently abused freedoms. That's just the natural result of a finite budget.

They by no means have to restrict this particular freedom. Dealing with a finite budget is ultimately a question of priorities, and this move states very clearly what their priorities are.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
JUST have coffee in the morning?! I'll never understand morning people. :rolleyes:

I don't drink coffee. They say an apple is better than coffe anyway.

Luckily, our campus allows eating/drinking during class. We've never had a problem with it, except when we get a ridiculously high flux of freshmen. But most of the upperclassmen (like msyelf) will pick up after them.

Wow, that really sucks! Penn State is one of the graduate schools I am looking at for Fall '07. Looks like I'll have to take no coffee in the mornings into consideration when I review the school!

Maxwell said:
Wow, that really sucks! Penn State is one of the graduate schools I am looking at for Fall '07. Looks like I'll have to take no coffee in the mornings into consideration when I review the school!

I doubt this stands for Graduate Students. Maybe it does, but it normally seems like Graduate Students do whatever they want.

Back