I'm finally coming out of the closet, atheism I mean.

I stopped going to church when I was little because I just didn't like it. Since my mom is not a very devout christian she did not care. She also never explained much to me about religion, I was just told I was christian and that's what I told people if asked. Sometime in grade school a girl in my class told me that I was not a true christian unless I believed Jesus was born of a virgin and sacraficed himself for my sins. my response was basically "Oh... Seriously? Well then I guess I'm not christian."
Currently I call myself "agnostic" and most people would probably consider me "atheist". I never really spoke to my family about my beliefs and I've never had any issues regarding it. Then again my family is not very close so it was easy to just not discuss it.
So that's my experience as a heathen in a christian family for what ever it is worth.

Honestly, I wish you the best. There are many things we can't change - the reactions of others being one of them. If they don't react supportively, all you can really do is remember that you did the right thing, and that's that.

I stopped going to church when I was little because I just didn't like it. Since my mom is not a very devout christian she did not care. She also never explained much to me about religion, I was just told I was christian and that's what I told people if asked. Sometime in grade school a girl in my class told me that I was not a true christian unless I believed Jesus was born of a virgin and sacraficed himself for my sins. my response was basically "Oh... Seriously? Well then I guess I'm not christian."
Currently I call myself "agnostic" and most people would probably consider me "atheist". I never really spoke to my family about my beliefs and I've never had any issues regarding it. Then again my family is not very close so it was easy to just not discuss it.
So that's my experience as a heathen in a christian family for what ever it is worth.
Hmmm, I like your approach, but I'm sorry about your family.

i happened to be raised in a jehovahs witness household, and although my father was a non believer, when i told them i no longer had faith in god, well, lets just say, 3 months ago, i was in new jersey, now, i am live in florida with my atheist father and his chritsian wife, all i can say is, choose your words and actions wisely my friend, im just 17 btw

DoggerDan
I think most people are predisposed to believe one way or the other, although neither has much of anything to do with one's brilliance or lack thereof.

At 2.3% of the world's population, it's definitely a minority belief: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism#Demographics

shashankac655
i was never a religious person but i thought of atheism not before i was 14 , my parents tried to change me but they gave up because i was too stubborn and i was asking too many questions for which they didn't know any answers .
Now i am an agnostic ,what do you mean by atheism?

It is not as simple as "i don't believe in god ,so i am an atheist"
It depends on your definition of god.
If god is according to you a creature that looks like a human but is immortal and has all kinds of powers then ,in that sense i am an atheist.
If god is according to you is a kind of undeniable logic under which the Universe works then i am an agnostic.

DoggerDan
Having run the gamut of having been a "true believer," then an agnostic, then an atheist, then back to rediscovering what it's really all about, I read the parade of opinions here with interest, to say the least.

Hm..