What are the best resources for self-studying physics and mathematics?

• Thread starter H0tblackDesiat0
  • Start date
H0tblackDesiat0
Hi,
It has been a decade since I dropped out of college (course in Electronics & Telecommunication), and I have been working as a writer (mostly for advertising) and as a musician. But a few years ago I started reading a lot of non-fiction (general science, physics, maths, philosophy), and my love for science was reignited.

In 2015, I read Feynman's Six Easy Pieces and Six Not-So-Easy Pieces, both which are compilations of selected chapters from his three volume Lectures on Physics.

This year, 2016, I decided to tackle The Feynman Lectures on Physics. Started the first volume last week.

I also plan on reading The Road to Reality by Roger Penrose to get to the bottom of maths. Should I read this book simultaneously, or should I finish Feynman's three volumes and then begin The Road to Reality?

Any other book suggestions and ways to improve my knowledge would be helpful. I want to understand string theory and the other theories that lead to M-theory. So, much to know, so little time. But at least I need to try.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how advanced you are, but the popular science books by Brian Greene (The Elegant Universe, and my favorite: The Fabric of the Cosmos) were simply inspiring and excellent reads for me.

Welcome to Physics Forums, H0tblackDesiat0!

For book suggestions, try our Science and Math Textbooks forum.

Likes H0tblackDesiat0
RJLiberator said:
I'm not sure how advanced you are, but the popular science books by Brian Greene (The Elegant Universe, and my favorite: The Fabric of the Cosmos) were simply inspiring and excellent reads for me.

My formal education is up to electromagnetic wave theory, microprocessors, signal processing and modulation/demodulation and all the maths to do with telecommunications. But I am a quick learner. I have watched the documentary The Elegant Universe based on Brian Greene's book. Is the book more detailed?

jtbell said:
Welcome to Physics Forums, H0tblackDesiat0!

For book suggestions, try our Science and Math Textbooks forum.
Thank you. Just getting used to the site.

I have watched the documentary The Elegant Universe based on Brian Greene's book. Is the book more detailed?

Very much so, however, I strongly suggest The Fabric of the Cosmos.

Likes H0tblackDesiat0

1. What are the best online resources for self-studying physics and mathematics?

Some of the best online resources for self-studying physics and mathematics include Khan Academy, Coursera, MIT OpenCourseWare, and edX. These platforms offer a wide range of courses, lectures, and practice problems for learners of all levels.

2. Are there any recommended textbooks for self-studying physics and mathematics?

Yes, there are many textbooks that are highly recommended for self-studying physics and mathematics. Some popular options include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Calculus" by James Stewart, and "Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang.

3. Are there any free resources available for self-studying physics and mathematics?

Yes, there are many free resources available for self-studying physics and mathematics. In addition to the online platforms mentioned above, there are also many websites, such as Physics Classroom and MathIsFun, that offer free lessons, tutorials, and practice problems.

4. Are there any study groups or forums for self-studying physics and mathematics?

Yes, there are many study groups and forums available for self-studying physics and mathematics. These can be found on platforms like Reddit, Quora, and Physics Forums. Joining a study group or forum can provide additional support and resources for your self-study journey.

5. How can I ensure that I am effectively self-studying physics and mathematics?

To effectively self-study physics and mathematics, it is important to set goals, create a study schedule, and stay consistent with your studying. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as practice problems and video tutorials, to supplement your learning. Additionally, regularly reviewing and testing yourself on the material will help reinforce your understanding.