Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm gonna pretend to be deep now

1. Apr 22, 2003 #1
    My children, I see a world beyond this one, that cannot be touched by the senses of the mind. Only by using the eyes of your heart, the ears of your soul, and the fingers of your pancreas, can you see hear, and touch this invisible world. Do you doubt me? If you only believed hard enoughj, clap your hands,and click your heals together, it will be so. The interruptions and breaks in teh timeflow obscure teh messages from teh past, but the future is like a rainbow trout, swimming in a sea of paperclips.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2003 #2
    "Since experiences of God are good grounds for the existence of God, are not experiences of the absence of God good grounds for the nonexistence of God? After all, many people have tried to experience God and have failed. Cannot these experiences of the absence of God be used by atheists to counter the theistic argument based on experience of the presence of God?"
    Michael Martin, Atheism: A Philosophical Justification
  4. Apr 22, 2003 #3
    I once dropped a beer bottle off a 100ft tower, it fell, and 90ft before the ground wind caught it and it hit the steel structure of the tower only to bounce 10ft up and then down onto some rocks where it bounced again and spun over to another pile of jagged rocks only to bounce again and gentle land on the ground, where it rolled very slowly, and as if God himself where playing a joke on us it slowly rolled into a rock just right and cracked. We all laughed in amazement, but then I wouldn't have remembered it if it had just smashed like normal, It's hard to remember routine stuff, it's the odd things we remember most.
  5. Apr 22, 2003 #4
    Once, I fell asleep, and I felt like I had lost my arm. I wandered through a weird landscape, that I had never sen, that I had always been in, and whenI awoke, I had slept on my arm, proof that the dream was real.
  6. Apr 22, 2003 #5
    Once I Dreamed I was a butterfly, or am I really a butterfly dreaming I am a man?

Chuang Tzu

Is it romance, reality, idealism, or the ineffable?

You decide.
  7. Apr 23, 2003 #6
    Walking through the night, I can feel ...stuff. I am smarter than you, if you don't feel...stuff. Ummmm...

Crap, I can't pull it off!
  8. Apr 23, 2003 #7
    Actually God doesn't exist for everyone. This is why He created hell. So you can believe whatever you want. Hey it don't bother me none.

Actually you're not judged so much upon what you believe, in as much as what you do with what you believe. In which case you're likely to find many "so-called" Christians in hell.
  9. Apr 23, 2003 #8

Science Advisor

I'm probably the stupedest person here for
    asking - but I'm gon'na ask anyway :
    What is the purpose of this thread ?
  10. Apr 23, 2003 #9
    I think it's supposed to be a mockery of religious idealism (or faith).
  11. Apr 23, 2003 #10
    No, Gods and Goddesses lve inside of all of us, but outside too, in the gardem of celery and hope. We are judged by the great ,master who sits in the beer keg throne and mumbles incoherently, thereby proving his wisdom.
  12. Apr 23, 2003 #11
    Mockery? When I see the spoon, and know its place, you say mockery?!?! I have dreamed of the tower with seven spires, I KNOW!!!
  13. Apr 23, 2003 #12
    if this is a mockery, it is a mockery of people who are obscure, and believe they are deep. Talking like Yoda doesn't make you a Jedi Master...
  14. Apr 23, 2003 #13
    Oooooohhhhhh, that's so deep. Tell us more oh great one! How do we become like master Yoda!
  15. Apr 23, 2003 #14
    Breath deep the gathering gloom ... Watch lights fade from every room.

Bedsitter people look back and lament ... Another day's useless energy spent.

Impassioned lovers wrestle as one ... Lonely man cries for love and has none.

New mother picks up and suckles her son ... Senior Citizens wish they were young.

Cold hearted orb that rules the night ... Removes the colours from our sight.

Red is grey and yellow white ... But we decide which is right ... And which is an illusion? ...
  16. Apr 23, 2003 #15

Science Advisor

wooo... You must feel the FORCE inside you ! wooo...
    And then you ought to slap your face real hard
    and say - What the HELL is all that BS I just
    thought about ?! I MUST get real !

Peace and long life.
  17. Apr 23, 2003 #16

It's a mockery?!

Uh, my interpretation was that this is a thread warning against an over-reliance on poetic imagery in philosophy.

Or maybe it's a textual version of one of those ink blotty things....
  18. Apr 23, 2003 #17
    Didn't you read the first post? Can't you see that he's speaking about a very "mystical experience?" Or, is he just mocking the whole idea of it?

While in the second post, BouldHead tries to validate "his ideas" about atheism ... which is kind of a take off from "knocking religion."
  19. Apr 23, 2003 #18

Well, maybe the ink blot thing might be right after all.

Because the case can be made what that the point of the post is that it dealt with issues in a way that cannot be countered logically, and was hence an exercise in obscuration. It all depends on which part you emphasise.
    For example, if you focus on this statement, it seems abundantly clear that there is no relevance to spiritualism.
    And if you focus on this statement (notice phrase senses of the mind), the statement can be interpreted as mocking the idea of external reality beyond perception.

And boulderhead's particular interpretation simply reinforces my idea. This is a post about nothing. You fill the nothing with what you find important.
  20. Apr 23, 2003 #19
    I sensed that it somehow had something to do with the "mindlessness" of religion? Seeing as how that was the first thing he tossed out ... i.e., "that cannot be touched by the senses of the mind."
  21. Apr 23, 2003 #20

Admit it. That's rather weak. It is a function of the brain that we select and paint over concepts in order to suit a pattern.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?