Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm having MASSIVE confusion about harmonics and overtones of stopped pipes

1. May 11, 2009 #1
    I feel like the various members of the world of physics don't agree upon what the values of n, harmonics, and overtones line up for STOPPED pipes where f n = nv / 4L

According to my physics text book (University Physics Young and Freedman),

for stopped pipes, 3rd harmonic = n is 3 = second overtone.

HOWEVER, I got a question wrong on my second exam in General Physics because I believe my professor is one of those part of the confusion.

I copied and pasted the following from the exam solution:

QUESTION:The second harmonic (the second fundamental frequency) of a stopped (closed at one end) organ pipe is 172 Hz, the speed of sound is 344 m/s. How long is the pipe?

ANSWER GIVEN BY PROFESSOR:
    The first harmonic corresponds to L = (wavelength) / 4, the second one to L = (3*wavelength) / 4

When I was doing this problem, I was immediately confused because the question asks for the SECOND harmonic of a STOPPED pipe. According to what I understand, there IS no second harmonic and n goes straight from n = 1 to n = 3.

Can some one please explain what is meant by second harmonic for a stopped pipe. Did my teacher screw up?

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted