I'm holding a pole and running at a relativistic velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the pole and barn paradox, where the length of the pole and barn appear to change depending on the point of view. From the runner's perspective, the barn shrinks due to length contraction, causing the pole not to fit. However, from the barn's perspective, the pole would fit nicely due to the failure of simultaneity between the two ends. This paradox has been studied for a long time and can be further examined through the failure of simultaneity.
whydoyouwanttoknow
Say the pole is 10 metres long. I run really fast into a barn that is 15 metres long.

Say I run fast enough so that from my point of view the barn shrinks to less than 10 metres long due to length contraction. What happens to the barn now that my pole won't fit?

The other problem is that from the barn's point of view the pole would have shrunk to much smaller than the barn and would fit quite nicely.

Physics news on Phys.org

What is relativistic velocity?

Relativistic velocity is the speed at which an object is moving relative to an observer, taking into account the effects of relativity. This means that the velocity is measured in relation to the observer's frame of reference, rather than an absolute frame of reference such as the speed of light.

How does holding a pole while running at a relativistic velocity affect its length?

According to the theory of relativity, objects appear to be shorter in the direction of motion when they are moving at high speeds. This means that holding a pole while running at a relativistic velocity can cause it to appear shorter in the direction of motion.

Can I break the speed of light by running at a relativistic velocity?

No, according to the theory of relativity, it is impossible for an object with mass to reach the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it requires an infinite amount of energy to accelerate further.

What are some potential consequences of running at a relativistic velocity?

Running at a relativistic velocity can have significant consequences, such as time dilation, length contraction, and increased mass. It can also lead to the production of high-energy particles and radiation, which can be dangerous for both the runner and the surrounding environment.

Is it possible to run at a relativistic velocity in real life?

While it is theoretically possible to run at a relativistic velocity, it is highly unlikely to be achieved in real life due to the immense amount of energy required. Even the fastest objects in the universe, such as particles in particle accelerators, only reach a fraction of the speed of light.