I'm hoping someone could check my answers.

• Thread starter Tiplerfan
  • Start date
In summary, a duck traveled a total distance of 87m in 2.0 minutes by traveling 22m [36deg N of E] and then paddling 65m [E 25deg S]. Its average speed was 0.725m/s and its total displacement was 78m [E 79.3deg S].
Tiplerfan
In 2.0 min., a duck travels 22m [36deg N of E] then paddles 65m [E 25deg S] determine
i) total distance, ii) average speed, iii)tatol displacement iv) average velocity.

Relevant equations: v%=d/t (for velocity and speed)

i) total distance 22m+65m=87m
ii) v%=87m/120s
v = 0.725m/s
iii) let N&E be positive NS comp. 22sin36deg=12.93, 65sin25deg= -27.47, 12.93-27.47= -14.54or 14.54
EW comp. 22cos36deg=17.79, 65cos25deg=58.91, 17.79+58.91= 76.7[E]

d^2=14.54m^2+58.91m^2
d=78m
iv) v=78m/120s
v=0.65m/s [E 79.3deg S]

Thanks for any help
Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
in iii) you write d^2=14.54m^2+58.91m^2 which should be d^2=14.54m^2+76.7m^2, but you have the correct final answer.

in iv) the direction is wrong. [E 79.3deg S] meant "79.3 degrees south of east" in the rest of the problem, so this is directed nearly south. the velocity was 76.7 meters to east and 14.54 meters south in 120 seconds.

Hello there, based on your calculations, it seems like you have correctly determined the total distance traveled by the duck (87m) and its average speed (0.725m/s). However, I would like to point out that the equation v%=d/t is typically used for calculating percentage change, and may not be the most accurate way to calculate velocity and speed in this scenario. Instead, you could use the equation v=d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time. This would give you a more accurate measurement of the duck's speed.

Moving on to the total displacement and average velocity, I would recommend using vector addition to calculate these values. It seems like you have attempted to do so in your calculations, but there are a few errors. Firstly, the NS and EW components should be added together, not subtracted. This would give you a total displacement of 76.7m [E 14.54deg S]. To calculate the average velocity, you could use the same equation as before (v=d/t), but this time, the value of d would be the magnitude of the total displacement (76.7m) and t would be the total time taken (120s). This would give you an average velocity of 0.64m/s [E 14.54deg S].

I hope this helps clarify your calculations. Keep up the good work!

1. Why is it important to have someone check my answers?

Having someone check your answers is important because it helps to ensure accuracy and can catch any mistakes that you may have missed. It also provides an opportunity for learning and improvement.

2. What is the best way to find someone to check my answers?

The best way to find someone to check your answers is to ask a teacher, tutor, or a fellow classmate who is knowledgeable in the subject. Online forums and study groups can also be helpful resources.

3. Will someone checking my answers guarantee that they are correct?

No, having someone check your answers does not guarantee that they are correct. They can still make mistakes or overlook errors. However, having a second set of eyes can greatly increase the chances of catching any mistakes.

4. How do I know if someone is qualified to check my answers?

It is important to choose someone who has a good understanding of the subject matter and has experience in checking answers. They should also be able to provide explanations and reasoning for any changes or corrections they suggest.

5. Is it okay to have multiple people check my answers?

Yes, it is perfectly fine to have multiple people check your answers. In fact, it can be beneficial to have different perspectives and approaches in catching errors. Just make sure to consider all feedback and make necessary revisions.