Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Im just wondering

1. Mar 23, 2005 #1
    i bet everyone will laugh at me but here it goes. Does magnetism have any effect on gravity? i bet it doesnt but i just thought maybe it did.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2005 #2
    There are theories that say magnetism and gravitation are closely related, but thats rooted deep into quantum mechanics. The answer is no one knows for sure.
  4. Mar 23, 2005 #3

Gold Member

Short answer, no. Sorry to be abrupt. I can't stay, but didn't want to ignore you.
  5. Mar 23, 2005 #4
    The magnetic field has energy associated with it. This energy is a source for the curvature of spacetime. So yes, actually, it does have something to do with gravity. I'm sure someone who knows more about relativity will be able to tell you more. It isn't a silly question at all.
  6. Mar 23, 2005 #5
    should i ask it in the relativity fourm?
  7. Mar 23, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Currenly gravity and electro-magnetism are seperate, unlinked forces. That is the goal of TOE, or the GUT to find a connection between these forces.
  8. Mar 24, 2005 #7
    I'm pretty sure they are same force but I don't want to stub my toe too early :P
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?