I'm looking for a Topology book

In summary, the person is looking for a recommendation for a topology book and has been told that they should learn point-set topology before algebraic topology, but their algebra is stronger. Based on their background, they suggest starting with a book that is accessible and well written, such as "First Concepts of Topology" by Chinn and Steenrod.
JonF
I’m looking for a recommendation for a topology book that I could go through myself. I’ve been told that I should learn point-set topology before algebraic topology, but my algebra is much stronger than my analysis – so I’d also like to know if point-set necessarily comes first.

I’ll give my background of all of the courses I think might be relevant so you can judge the level of text I’m ready for:2 semesters of linear algebra , 2 semesters of real analysis, 1 of complex analysis, a course in non Euclidian geometry, 2 semesters of abstract algebra, 1 of galois theory, number theory, and a course on set theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
I liked Munkres -- Topology:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131816292/?tag=pfamazon01-20

as an introductory. Covers a lot of topics, is rigorous and moves to Algebraic Topology the final 1/3rd of the book --although you might want to consider a different book devoted to this particular subject.

Have to admit that I did not go through any other Topology books.

Last edited by a moderator:
a nice well written one accessible even to strong high school students, and yet by a great expert in topology, is "first concepts of topology" by chinn and steenrod.

pure point set topology is sort of a trivial subject, and when divorced from applications to maps of circles and spheres and other real life examples, gives an unfortunate lack of feel for the basic idea, namely continuity.

a book like kelley's "general topology" has that complete lack of geometric feel, and was apparently meant as a handbook for analysts, rather than geometers or topologists. the deep side of topology is its connection with differential calculus and geometry. good books for the former include that by guillemin and pollack.

still one can learn the basic trivial definitions from the first few sections of kelley. munkres is probably excellent, and is widely recommended for students, but i have not read it.

I have a fondness for Hocking and Young Topology. It's available in Dover reprint and covers point-set topology, homotopy, homology and knot theory at a level that is suitable for getting a handle on the ideas but not with all the more modern and abstract machinery. It's a "good read".

Thanks guys, I ordered Munkres.

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric figures that are unchanged by continuous transformation. It deals with concepts such as continuity, connectedness, and compactness.

2. Why do I need a topology book?

If you are studying mathematics, physics, or engineering, topology is an important subject to understand. It has applications in many fields, including robotics, computer graphics, and data analysis. A topology book will provide a comprehensive introduction to the subject and help you develop a strong foundation.

3. What topics are typically covered in a topology book?

A topology book usually covers topics such as point-set topology, algebraic topology, and differential topology. It may also include discussions on topological spaces, continuity, convergence, compactness, and connectedness. Some books may also cover more advanced topics, such as homotopy theory and manifolds.

4. What are some recommended topology books for beginners?

Some popular topology books for beginners include "Topology" by James Munkres, "Introduction to Topology" by Theodore W. Gamelin and Robert E. Greene, and "A First Course in Topology: Continuity and Dimension" by John McCleary. It is recommended to choose a book that aligns with your level of mathematical knowledge and interests.

5. How can I use a topology book for self-study?

A topology book can be a valuable resource for self-study. It is recommended to read the book in a systematic manner, starting from the basics and gradually progressing to more advanced topics. It is also helpful to work through the exercises and practice problems to solidify your understanding. Additionally, seeking guidance from a tutor or joining a study group can enhance your learning experience.