Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Im lost

1. Mar 22, 2005 #1
    I dont understand half of what is being said here but thats ok with me. When i understand something it is only because I've read Stephen Hawkin's A Brief History of Time (I acutally understood soemthings in the beginning and in the end) . I'm just wondering if anyone knows i a place i can get a basic idea about physics, they dont start teaching us anything about it untill high school in my school and I'm only in 7th grade. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2005 #2

Gold Member

Hi there;
    For someone in your age group, I highly recommend 'Daily Planet' on Discovery Channel. I don't get cable myself, but it comes on CTV Saturday morning here. Some of the stuff might be a little deep, but a lot is simplified and still very interesting. Also, they like to showcase new gizmos like cameras and iPods and such like. This show is not specifically about physics, just science in general. There's also a neat newspaper comic called 'You Can with Beakman & Jax'. I've never looked at the website, but you might enjoy it. (myQuestion@beakman.com) I'm sure that others can be of more help, but I figured I'd give it a shot on the way by.
  4. Mar 23, 2005 #3
    thanks but those things are a little to basic for me. They would be good for the average 7th grader but im a little ahead of the other kids (they hear Einstein the only thing they think is E=mc^2 and they dont know what that even means). Even my friends who are on the smarter side dont like it when i start talking about physics stuff.
  5. Mar 23, 2005 #4
    Same here! :rofl:
    A Brief History of Time is a good book. The best thing for me was, in the beginnings, is googling the internet.
  6. Mar 23, 2005 #5
    k im going to try that when i get back from school thanks.
  7. Mar 23, 2005 #6
    we got some future austronauts here. Just make sure you remember where you learned your physics when you grow up.

8. Mar 23, 2005 #7
    Hopefully an astrophysicist! :wink: :approve:
  9. Mar 23, 2005 #8
    You might try "Spacetime Physics" by Taylor & Wheeler (pub: Freeman). It deals with relativity and related things in a very readable way. Plus it's paperback, so not expensive
  10. Mar 23, 2005 #9

Gold Member

Sorry... I underestimated your current knowledge. :redface: Although real scientists seem to scorn it, I never miss buying Scientific American. It's probably just about right for you. Even if a particular issue has no articles in your specific area of interest, it will broaden that area. The '50, 100 & 150 Years Ago' reprints, 'Skeptic' column, 'Anti Gravity' and 'Ask the Experts' are worth buying it for in themselves. There's also a 'Mathematical Recreations' page, but I stay away from it because I hate math and don't understand it.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  11. Mar 23, 2005 #10
    thanks for all your help. im looking into the book and magizine and im searching google now
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  12. Mar 24, 2005 #11

Gold Member

I just spotted something that seems ideal. I'm new here and didn't see it before. Just a few threads away (it varies) is one called Watered-Down Physics. The blurb sounds as if it's exactly the kind of thing you're looking for. Check it out.
  13. Mar 24, 2005 #12
    If you have read ABHOT, then these books should be alright for you.

A Brief History of science - John gribbin
    The universe in a Nutshell - SH

These books i don't recommend at your age, but scouring through it could be a good idea at what physics is like in the modren days:

-The elegant universe
    - The search for schrodingers cat
    - the pleasure of finding things out (for inspiration)
  14. Mar 27, 2005 #13
    popular science and scientific american are great. www.scientificamerican.com www.popsci.com . by the time you (and I, being that i only have a year on you) get to physics, we will be able to use it as a study hall. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: i love study hall. wow, i'm a loser to be on a physics forum while in 8th grade, but loser in a good way. :approve:

15. Mar 27, 2005 #14
    i'm subcribed to popsci but not scientific american, and cool i thought i was the only kid here.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?