C: "The Big Bang Machine" on Nova: A Critique

• Thread starter diogenesNY
  • Start date
In summary, a conversation about the TV show Nova and its portrayal of scientific topics as overly simplified and exaggerated was discussed. The show's recent episode on CERN and the hunt for the Higgs Boson was criticized for its misinformation and use of flashy animations. This led to a debate about the responsibility of popular science programming and the annoyance with individuals who spread pseudoscience on personal websites. The conversation also touched on the concept of crowdfunded pseudoscience and the motivations behind people's donations to such projects.
diogenesNY
The TV show _Nova_ which is one of the flagship productions of PBS is admittedly a bit uneven, but oftentimes pretty good.

On starting to watch the January 14, 2015 aired episode, entitled _The Big Bang Machine_, which was about CERN and the hunt for the Higgs Boson, I found myself a bit annoyed.I know that popular science programming tends to be a bit oversimplified, and that some of the more subtle distinctions and factual presentations get the comic book treatment, but sometimes this seems to go a bit over and beyond the necessary and even acceptable.

This show just seemed not merely to race past generally accepted models and theories, but rather to go almost out of its way to express explicit misinformation. Notwithstanding the numerous animations of 'cosmic explosions' of all sorts in the first few minutes of the program, we were treated to the following voice over at approximately 4:45 minutes.

"The story begins at the very beginning of time... when the universe came into being in a massive explosion called The Big Bang." This was accompanied by yet another 'explosion' animation that would have warmed the cockles of Hal Needham's heart.

That was pretty much enough for me to dive for the clicker and switch over to a rerun of _Family Guy_.

For those interested in context, the _Nova_ episode can be viewed online:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/big-bang-machine.html

Y'all can make your own jokes or deconstructions of this, as I am sure that they will be better and more insightful than mine.

Again, I know TV science is all about simplification and such in order to express complex ideas quickly to a broad audience, but this almost borders on inadvertent flat-earthism. Facts, shmacts... as long as it looks exciting and holds the attention of the viewers. ...and as the case might be, give rise to several more difficult and strained conversations here on this board.

Whatever.

diogenesNY

Space news on Phys.org
Yep. It's a constant problem.

diogenesNY said:
Y'all can make your own jokes, as I am sure that they will be better and more insightful than mine.
You can never go wrong with Family Guy.

People want explosions, so PBS gives them explosions.

We make a living off of correcting pop sci inspired confusion here.

Chronos said:
We make a living

We do? Where's my paycheck? :woot:

Likes bapowell
Why would someone waste his time in correcting a documentary rather than enjoying its fancy presentation :woot:? If the explosion was a nice effect, then it was noteworthy...
Did it sell? it was amazing! It didn't? So be it , no more re-runs...

I am more annoyed by some people who build personal sites, and spread para-science, where someone interested in the topic can visit and get confused.

ChrisVer said:
I am more annoyed by some people who build personal sites, and spread para-science, where someone interested in the topic can visit and get confused.
Hmm.. that's a good point... good point :smile:. I'm also lately very annoyed by crowdfunded pseudoscience, I've seen a couple of "projects" which made me sad, sad because people actually donate money to such "projects", money which could be far better spent on other things.

Likes Drakkith
Chalk that up to the sense of altruism people reap from investing in noble enterprises. It furthers their sense of 'making a difference' in the world. I have little doubt the accounting ledgers for these 'projects', were they to exist, would be illuminating.

1. What is the premise of "The Big Bang Machine" on Nova?

The premise of "The Big Bang Machine" on Nova is to explore the scientific advancements and discoveries made through the use of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, and its implications for our understanding of the universe and the Big Bang theory.

2. How does the show "The Big Bang Machine" on Nova present the information?

The show uses a combination of interviews with scientists, animations, and footage from the actual LHC experiments to present the information in an engaging and informative way.

3. What are some of the criticisms of "The Big Bang Machine" on Nova?

Some of the criticisms include that the show does not delve deeply enough into the complexities of the science behind the LHC and the experiments, and that it may oversimplify certain concepts for a general audience.

4. How does the show address the potential dangers of the LHC?

The show briefly touches on the concerns and potential risks associated with the LHC, such as the creation of a black hole, but ultimately dismisses these fears by explaining the extensive safety measures and regulations in place at CERN.

5. What is the main takeaway from "The Big Bang Machine" on Nova?

The main takeaway is that the LHC and the experiments conducted at CERN have greatly advanced our understanding of the universe and the Big Bang theory, but there is still much more to discover and explore in the realm of particle physics.

Back