I'm moving house!

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I see you've got the toothbrush, did you also forget the toothpaste? And do you have your toilet paper, underwear, deodorant, comb, razor, soap, and bath towels? If you've got all that stuff covered, you can at least dress properly to go out and buy any other essentials you forgot.

What about lamps and lightbulbs? A flashlight and batteries? A laundry sack or basket? Laundry detergent?

Or ID cards (whatever you might need for filling out employment paperwork when you start your job), checkbook or other bank documents?

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Got pants, BO-derant and a towel. Found my lovely Petzl head-torch earlier, so that's packed. Laundry sack would be a good idea, but I don't have one. Donations to the usual address, or I'll just use a Tesco bag like at uni...

As for the paperwork, I lost my chequebook a few months ago. I'll be buggered if I know where that is. Never write cheques anyway...

Good point though, what will I need to start work?! I hadn't even thought of that! Why can't my mummy come with me?!

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
brewnog said:
As for the paperwork, I lost my chequebook a few months ago. I'll be buggered if I know where that is.
Good thing you remembered those condoms then. Nothing jogs your memory better than a good...

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
arildno said:
Good thing you remembered those condoms then. Nothing jogs your memory better than a good...
Jog?

zwoko! (sp?)

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
brewnog said:
Jog?

zwoko! (sp?)
I was thinking of that you should arrange a balloon-blowing party, but a jog works equally well, I suppose.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
brewnog said:
Jog?

zwoko! (sp?)
Hey, that's zoquo, not zwoko! :rofl:

Why can't my mummy come with me?!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That is much easier, isn't it?

Got your calculator?

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
Hey, that's zoquo, not zwoko! :rofl:
Cheers Auntie Moonburger.

Got your calculator?
ARRGGHHHHHH! This is doing my head in!

Ok, I'm gonna go now. I'll just use my new credit card to buy new ones of whatever I've forgotten when I get there. Eeeeee!

Catch you all when I have an internet connection sorted out! xx

Evo
Mentor
Bye Brewnog! Hurry back!!!

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Good luck, and hope the move goes well. Just plan on having your parents down to visit in a week or two and they can bring along all the stuff you forgot when they do so. :smile:

I don't know how much stuff you have, but I just moved from Wisconsin to Massachusetts (about 1000 miles and I know this is all meaningless since you are in the UK and use metric but I just cannot stop...). The biggest problem we had once we got here was finding what box we put stuff in. As we got closer to moving day, we just started putting things in boxes, anything that would fit in any box. So label boxes extensively. Write everything you put in that box on the box. And if you have reused boxes from previous moves, scratch out old stuff you have written on them. I spent about an hour the other day tearing through all of our storage boxes looking for some textbooks. They happened to be in a box in the bedroom labeled knick-knacks on the top and it was labeled books on the bottom of the box... DOH!

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Good point Norman. I've learned the same thing from the many moves I've done. Label each box with the room it belongs in and the contents. Having the rooms listed on the boxes ensures it gets close to where you'll need it, and the contents means you'll be able to find stuff if it takes a few days to unpack.

With my last two moves, I got a pack of multi-colored labels and used a color for each room (easier for your helpers to spot a red label and know it goes in the bedroom, and a blue label goes to the kitchen, etc.) I also labeled the ones with the stuff I'd need the first day as "Open Immediately." That way I didn't have to guess which box had my cooking utensils or toiletries or the sheets for the bed when all I wanted to do was hit the shower and go to sleep and face unpacking the next day.

Enjoy this first move. It'll be the last time you'll be excited enough about moving that you'll almost enjoy it. :smile:

wolram
Gold Member
Brewy you forgot your computer.

Moonbear said:
Enjoy this first move. It'll be the last time you'll be excited enough about moving that you'll almost enjoy it. :smile:
So very, very true. Moving is the scourge of my being currently.