My Own Place: Moving Out & Loving It!

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary: Very cool. The park is probably a great place for runs -- a natural stress reliever...In summary, Jason got his own place downtown and is excited to start living on his own. He also has a buddy who moved downtown last month and will live close by.
JasonRox said:
Of the girl or place. :wink:
Screw pictures of the place. One little dump is not much different from any other.

Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
Screw pictures of the place. One little dump is not much different from any other.

I guess so, but I still want to show them!

I was thinking more in the female direction, but shots of the housing would be nice too.

Danger said:
Cool. I've always had a strong preference for Asian women, but I ended up with a Cree who everyone thinks is Chinese. I'm not complaining, though. :biggrin:
That's interesting, I have a friend from HS I'm still in touch with who is half Asian (I forget which flavour now), half Cree. Had (have) the hugest crush on her.

turbo-1 said:
One little dump is not much different from any other.
That's a terrible thing to call someone.

DaveC426913 said:
That's a terrible thing to call someone.

:rofl:

JasonRox said:
I guess so, but I still want to show them!
Just teasing. I have lived in more run-down apartments than I care to remember. Going to school, chasing construction jobs, etc, and saving up for a down-payment on a house. I purposely chose very cheap apartments because it's too hard to save money for a house when you're paying too much for rent, just so you can live in a nice apartment. I usually ended up with hard-to-rent places like 3rd-floor efficiency apartments, etc, just to keep costs down.

turbo-1 said:
Just teasing. I have lived in more run-down apartments than I care to remember. Going to school, chasing construction jobs, etc, and saving up for a down-payment on a house. I purposely chose very cheap apartments because it's too hard to save money for a house when you're paying too much for rent, just so you can live in a nice apartment. I usually ended up with hard-to-rent places like 3rd-floor efficiency apartments, etc, just to keep costs down.

Yeah, it's even harder when you're alone.

Just so you know, I'm paying $400 a month right now with all bills paid. At that price, you have roommates. My own apartment is going to be $500 a month all bills paid. I got hooked up huge.

The cost thing is pretty significant. W and I have the most awesome landlady. Three years ago we were paying $625/month. In August of that year, Judy sent us a note apologizing profusely because she was going to have to raise it by $25 in January. No increase since then. Back in November, our neighbour in the the same 4-plex moved out of her 3-bedroom unit (ours was 2), so we moved in for the extra space. It's costing $725/month. This is a very nice building, and she put in all new kitchen cabinets and flooring for us. A single-bedroom bachelor unit in the town's seediest apartment building is almost $900.

Danger said:
The cost thing is pretty significant. W and I have the most awesome landlady. Three years ago we were paying $625/month. In August of that year, Judy sent us a note apologizing profusely because she was going to have to raise it by $25 in January. No increase since then. Back in November, our neighbour in the the same 4-plex moved out of her 3-bedroom unit (ours was 2), so we moved in for the extra space. It's costing $725/month. This is a very nice building, and she put in all new kitchen cabinets and flooring for us. A single-bedroom bachelor unit in the town's seediest apartment building is almost $900.

I couldn't imagine paying $900 a month for a one bedroom. That sounds insane. My buddy down the street is paying $600 a month plus hydro. His is bigger than I would love his, but I love the fact that I'm saving a lot going this route.

Imagine if a girl moved in with me... damn, that would be cheap.

Note: My girl is unusually insecure, but in a comfortable way. Almost like she accepted the fact that she's not like super attractive, but she's really cute. I think it's good to accept you're not insanely attractive, but you shouldn't think that I wouldn't be super attractive to her. Very strange. Plus her parents are insanely controlling, especially since they found out she's dating non-Chinese. My girl troubles... :rolleyes:

JasonRox said:
I couldn't imagine paying $900 a month for a one bedroom. That sounds insane. My buddy down the street is paying $600 a month plus hydro. His is bigger than I would love his, but I love the fact that I'm saving a lot going this route.

Around here $900 for a one bedroom is about average depending on where you go. In the ghetto you might get away with about $750. I'm looking at Studios and have only found a handfull under $700. But that's online. I could possibly find something cheaper if I actually walked the neighbourhood or went to a rental company.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Around here $900 for a one bedroom is about average depending on where you go. In the ghetto you might get away with about $750. I'm looking at Studios and have only found a handfull under $700. But that's online. I could possibly find something cheaper if I actually walked the neighbourhood or went to a rental company.

That's crazy because even in Quebec City I could find apartments for $500. They run bottom end of course. And I'm talking about downtown apartments too. I like to be in the middle of the city.

JasonRox said:
That's crazy because even in Quebec City I could find apartments for $500. They run bottom end of course. And I'm talking about downtown apartments too. I like to be in the middle of the city.

Perhaps you have more rent control around there. Southern California is just expensive all around. I thought maybe prices would be lower since the real estate crash but it probably didn't effect prices much around here. I suppose renters may even hike rates a bit to try recooping losses on their property value. You can find places around LA and some of the seeder parts of OC for around $500-$600. but they seem to pretty pretty few and far between. The two bedroom I'm in now is just over a thousand, and we were lucky to find that. No eminities at all whatsoever though and if you walk out to the street you'll see bars on store windows and find liquor store owners hiding behind plexiglass.

Congrats on getting your own place. It'll be such a relief not to have to deal with other people when you just want your own quiet time.

Moonbear said:
Congrats on getting your own place. It'll be such a relief not to have to deal with other people when you just want your own quiet time.

The place has generally been pretty quiet. The concern wasn't that. The big concern was that the living space is ****. It's clean but like... crappy and I hate that. It's like painted in hospital green. And the lighting sucks in the living space. Overall disgusting. And the kitchen. Sharing a kitchen sucks.

Now, no more sharing kitchen (space or fridge or dishes) and I can decorate my living space how I want. In a student house, decorating is useless cause it will never feel like yours or your place.

So if you're curious, I just finished doing dishes and I counted 10 plates, and 18 glasses. That doesn't even included everything else, like cutlery and pans and so on. I know can't be mine because I eat out all the time. I eat at school all the time for breakfast and lunch. And I also eat out often, at my dad's or mom's or with the girl I'm seeing. Now with my own place, I'll spend more time at home.

My dad could tell I hated it and he was leaning towards me getting a one bedroom apartment and was willing to pay the cost of anything above $400 but I didn't want that. I want my own paid place.

And I got it!

Note: My roommates are nice and have stayed out of my business for the most part. (Except the one time when they thought I was cheating on the girl I was seeing.)

Here are some pics, but they don't include everything. This is considered small.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3051/dsc00275d.jpg

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6533/dsc00274gjx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How many roommates do you have to generate that many dishes?!

Moonbear said:
How many roommates do you have to generate that many dishes?!

Only two of us use the dishes. I'm one of those 2. That's what I don't understand.

She's nice, but she produces dishes like a chef in a busy restaurant. And lots of containers too that she puts food in.

JasonRox said:
I will probably get basic internet and that's it.

Somehow I managed to read you will get a basic instinct...

Congrats :smile:

JasonRox said:
Only two of us use the dishes. I'm one of those 2. That's what I don't understand.

She's nice, but she produces dishes like a chef in a busy restaurant. And lots of containers too that she puts food in.

Wow! How many meals a day does she eat?! That's about a week's worth of dishes for me (or more).

Moonbear said:
Wow! How many meals a day does she eat?! That's about a week's worth of dishes for me (or more).

I'll show you tonight's dishes after one meal. I did dishes again today, but they were mainly mine. So all mine are done. So none of this is mine...

She's very nice, but she produces dishes like mad sometimes.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/677/dsc00276l.jpg
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6274/dsc00277m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: