1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm need some help

1. Oct 14, 2004 #1
    i'm not sure how to begin this problem. "a cart that is moving at 8:00m/s heads up a frictionless ramp inclined 10.0 degrees from the horizontal. how far up the ramp should it go?" also i want to know if i'm on the right track with this question "give an example of each of the following objects or systems. a) and object with a negative potential enery. " i said an object at rest. b) " an object with zero kinetic energy" i said a ball stopped in a catchers mitt. c) a system that does mechanical work and loses energy. i said an open , non isolated system. and d) themal energy being produced by a system. i said a can of pop on a beach, fast moving molecules. any help would be great as i'm trying to teach my self. its kind of hard thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2004 #2

ek

1/2mv^2 = mgsinxd

1/2v^2 = gsinxd

d = v^2/2gsinx

That is one way you can solve it. There is probably more than one way.

I might have screwed up though, who knows. In fact I probably did. I'm going to try and do it another way.

Here's another way, easier I guess:

a = gsinx (it's going up at a ten degree angle, so the component of gravity is gsinx)

v^2 = 2ad

d = v^2/2gsinx

Same thing. Guess I was right after initially screwing up sines and cosines. It happens to the best of us.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?