Welcome to Forums! Meet Patty, PhD Geneticist & Liberal Democrat

• Thread starter pattylou
  • Start date
In summary: Welcome Patty! Your postscript signature means "In summary, I am a PhD geneticist, American (liberal democrat), ...ummmm... home with small kids for a few years, too much time on my hands so I websurf for a couple hours each day."
pattylou
Hey. Without digging too deep into the threads yet, this looks like a good bunch of forums. I thought I'd introduce myself, I'm Patty, PhD geneticist, American (liberal democrat), ...ummmm... home with small kids for a few years, too much time on my hands so I websurf for a couple hours each day. (It's either that or clean.)

Enjoy intelligent conversation - because our kids aren't quite there yet and the teletubbies are slowly liquefying my brains.

I'll have a look around - but I assume there are real personalities established here and I thought I'd ask for a heads up on that if any of you feel so inclined?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome! There are some really inteligent people here, and then there is me :cry:

GD (General Discussion) is pretty lax, feel free to post anything here! Feel free to change the topic of a certain thread here too! :smile:

People say to watch out for Danger, but he has not bitten me, yet at least.

geneticist... sounds interesting. I'm sure you'll like it here... loads of intelligent convo... cept in GD... oh, you're female eh?? watch out for Danger! if your children resemble sheep, especially keep them away from him too!

Welcome to PF pattylou!

I think you will find a broad range of topics and personalities here. (don't let them frighten you)

Thanks so far,

Also looks active! Heh.

Hey Evo - what's a "super-mentor?" Is it a fancy name for admin, or is there really mentoring going on here?

(Good, there's an edit button for all those darn typos.)

Welcome pattylou!

pattylou said:
Hey Evo - what's a "super-mentor?" Is it a fancy name for admin, or is there really mentoring going on here?

In the beginning was the Administrator. And the Administrator (his name is Greg) was lonely, so he said, "Let there be Physics Forums", and he saw that it was good. Then he said, "Let there be Super Mentors to moderate my Forums, and put the smackdown on crackpots", and there were, and he saw that it was good...

Ok this is getting tiresome: SuperMentors assist the Admins and make sure everyone follows the rules. :smile:

(Good, there's an edit button for all those darn typos.)

Yep, you can edit your posts up to 24 hours after you submit them.

pattylou said:
It's a fancy name (long story, all mentors have the "super" title now), but we do mentor and monitor the forum very closely. I just monitor, which is why I am the "mentor" down here in the basement. I do have a great group of members here that are "regulars".

If you want to relax and have fun, general discussion is the place to be. Outside of the "lounge" the discussion is more serious.

edit: Just saw Tom's post. :biggrin: Actually Tom is one of the two "real" Supermentors, SelfAdjoint is the other.

Last edited:
pattylou said:
Hey. Without digging too deep into the threads yet, this looks like a good bunch of forums. I thought I'd introduce myself, I'm Patty, PhD geneticist, American (liberal democrat), ...ummmm... home with small kids for a few years, too much time on my hands so I websurf for a couple hours each day. (It's either that or clean.)

Enjoy intelligent conversation - because our kids aren't quite there yet and the teletubbies are slowly liquefying my brains.

I'll have a look around - but I assume there are real personalities established here and I thought I'd ask for a heads up on that if any of you feel so inclined?

Ahh.. Moonbear's twin :biggrin:

Welcome to PF and all the usual mumbo jumbo! :approve:

Ahhh. Thanks Tom and Evo. Tom, I'd love to (re)learn diffe-q but I find I am having the same reaction my micro students (who are of normal size, incidentally) have when I mention genetics.

Hard to get past that learned response, but I'll try. :)

Cronxeh - Moonbear sounds absolutely delightful. Perfect in every way. I would never give myself a cutesy name, however. I briefly went by Zaphod, but decided pseudonyms really are you young txtspk crowd, not me. Tried registering simply as Patty, but someone here beat me to it.

Anywho, what does your postscript signature thingy mean? It sounds all mystical and vaguely Jungian. And yet, like something you might find on a tombstone near the OK corral. Or something.

thats exactly where it is found. in essence everything, including fame, eventually fades. if you want to extrapolate it you can say that our whole existence is merely a burp on the grand scale of events in the universe - what was it.. last 10-15k years humans been around? I am sure its not relevant and in another 20-25k we'll all be gone and the cycle will repeat itself again (or not) - so in essence, nothing really matters, total apathy, and yea I am depressed (but not suicidal kind) lately. yea.

Hi pattylou. Don't believe anything they tell you about me! Even if it might be true. :uhh:

Hope to see you around the bio forum!

To steal a line from an old friend...
"Welcome to the Asylum. Please don't feed the inmates." ;-)

TheStatutoryApe said:
To steal a line from an old friend...
"Welcome to the Asylum. Please don't feed the inmates." ;-)
No, that can't be right. :frown: You have to feed us or we get unruly. Chocolate appeases us very well. :biggrin:

Hi Pattylou

Welcome to the menagerie, where all the animals are tame, we have no
snakes ,and none of us bite, may be you won't reconize some of the specimines,
thats because they are unique.

Welcome, Pattylou! It's a great pleasure to meet you. I've prepared a nice spread of cream cheese and lox with mini-toasts for your arrival, but if you are vegetarian, please sample the roasted pepper and tofu quesadillas. I'm sure they will be to your liking.

pattylou said:
I'm new around here
Oooh, Fresh meat.

Smurf said:
Oooh, Fresh meat.
Damnit! Forgot I'm a vegetarian now.

This sucks.

pattylou said:
Enjoy intelligent conversation - because our kids aren't quite there yet and the teletubbies are slowly liquefying my brains.[

But those teletubbies sure are cute! :biggrin:

Welcome to PF pattylou. And you should believe everything that you hear about Moonbear. She's one of the Sisters of PF :bugeye: - a very dangerous gang indeed.

http://carcino.gen.nz/images/image.phpi/6fe5d350/nuns_with_guns.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
But those teletubbies sure are cute! :biggrin:

Welcome to PF pattylou. And you should believe everything that you hear about Moonbear. She's one of the Sisters of PF :bugeye: - a very dangerous gang indeed.

http://carcino.gen.nz/images/image.phpi/6fe5d350/nuns_with_guns.jpg
[/URL]

Which ones Moonbear?

wolram said:
Which ones Moonbear?

There is no way to know. Its kind of like how mild mannered Clark Kent is really Superman, but no one can tell once he puts on the glasses; the same is true with habbits.

Hi Patty,welcome, and not to worry, the guns are loaded with candy sprinkles. We use them only to make fancy ice cream dishes.
One of the best things about this forum, is the research the members do to support there posts. The links they give{highlighted in red} can take me into areas of reading that can keep my mind entertained for hours.

Moonbear said:
Hi pattylou. Don't believe anything they tell you about me! Even if it might be true. :uhh:
Couldn't have said it better myself... so I'm not going to try.

Ivan Seeking said:
There is no way to know. Its kind of like how mild mannered Clark Kent is really Superman, but no one can tell once he puts on the glasses; the same is true with habbits.
Ahah! We can dress as nuns for the heist! It's perfect!

Welcome to PF, pattylou! :smile:

Wow. I feel all warm and welcomed. Thank you!

If my dialect-ometer is working properly, I detect about 50 - 65% Americans, about 20% UK'ers, and about 10 - 15% other assorted english-as-second-language participants.

If my age-o-scope is on and functioning, I detect primarily young adults with a smattering of teens and another smattering of old fogeys. (like myself.)

Are my readings accurate, or do I need to calibrate the equipment?

pattylou said:
Wow. I feel all warm and welcomed. Thank you!

If my dialect-ometer is working properly, I detect about 50 - 65% Americans, about 20% UK'ers, and about 10 - 15% other assorted english-as-second-language participants.

If my age-o-scope is on and functioning, I detect primarily young adults with a smattering of teens and another smattering of old fogeys. (like myself.)

Are my readings accurate, or do I need to calibrate the equipment?
Welcome to PF, pattylou!
I'd say there's more than a smattering of teens, at least among those who ask questions related to their homework.

I am glad that you have joined; we need as many professional scientists as we can get around here! :smile:

Last edited:
pattylou said:
...and about 10 - 15% other assorted english-as-second-language participants.

Yeah, Danger's from Canada. :smile:

brewnog said:
Yeah, Danger's from Canada. :smile:
Hello?
What about me??
Don't I count? :cry:

arildno said:
Hello?
What about me??
Okay, you're from Canada too.

ah-hem! 10 characters

I don't WANT to be from Canada:
Fjords, great forests, no people, lots of snow: hey WAIT..that sounds really great!

(It wouldn't have hurt with a few mountains, though..)

arildno said:
Hello?
What about me??
You look better when you're crying!

arildno said:
Hello?
What about me??
You're my favorite Norweed. :biggrin:

Just to give you a (tiny) hint
http://www.showmelines.com/Canada%20Flag.jpeg

Evo said:
You're my favorite Norweed. :biggrin:
Thank you.

And Lisa:
Does "lost puppy"-look mean anything to you?

I think Smurf is trying to tell us something.

hmmmm...