1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Im new eqn for locus of points

1. Mar 22, 2005 #1
    In a right triangle ABC, the hypotenuse BC is 5 units. Determine an equation for the locus of points for the vertex A. What will a trace of these points look like? AHHHH all these locus questions I dont have a clue I drew the triangle with BC as the hypotenuse but I dont know what else to do. PLz help me someone plz :redface:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Geometric hint: In any right triangle, the hypotenuse is the diameter of the circumscribing circle- that is, a circle with the hypotenuse as diameter will pass through the right angle vertex.
  4. Mar 23, 2005 #3
    Don't you mean radius?
  5. Mar 23, 2005 #4
    I feel like I dont have enough information only 5 units, I see how a circle can be drawn around the right angle triangle with the diameter=hypotenuse but I dont know how to determine an equation for the set of points for the vertex A. What do I do?

Is this correct? x^2+y^2=6.25 for the equation
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?