Im new eqn for locus of points

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses determining an equation for the locus of points for the vertex A in a right triangle with a hypotenuse of 5 units. The geometric hint mentions that the hypotenuse is the diameter of a circumscribing circle, and the conversation explores how to determine the equation using this information. The final conclusion is that the equation is x^2+y^2=6.25 and the trace is a circle.
aisha
In a right triangle ABC, the hypotenuse BC is 5 units. Determine an equation for the locus of points for the vertex A. What will a trace of these points look like? AHHHH all these locus questions I don't have a clue I drew the triangle with BC as the hypotenuse but I don't know what else to do. PLz help me someone please :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
Geometric hint: In any right triangle, the hypotenuse is the diameter of the circumscribing circle- that is, a circle with the hypotenuse as diameter will pass through the right angle vertex.

Don't you mean radius?

I feel like I don't have enough information only 5 units, I see how a circle can be drawn around the right angle triangle with the diameter=hypotenuse but I don't know how to determine an equation for the set of points for the vertex A. What do I do?

Is this correct? x^2+y^2=6.25 for the equation

Last edited:

1. What is the new equation for the locus of points?

The new equation for the locus of points is a mathematical representation that describes all the possible positions of a point or set of points that satisfy a given condition or set of conditions.

2. What is the purpose of this new equation?

The purpose of this new equation is to provide a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the relationship between points and their positions in a given system or space.

3. How is this new equation different from previous equations?

This new equation differs from previous equations in that it takes into account more factors and variables, allowing for a more precise and complete representation of the locus of points.

4. Can this new equation be applied to any system or space?

Yes, this new equation can be applied to any system or space that can be represented mathematically. It is a universal equation that can be used in various fields of science and mathematics.

5. What are the potential applications of this new equation?

The potential applications of this new equation are vast, ranging from geometry and trigonometry to physics and engineering. It can be used to solve complex problems and make predictions in many different areas of study.