Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm not saying it was alie

1. Dec 21, 2012 #1
    I'm not saying it was alie....

121221_SkullPhoto-0840a.files.grid-8x2.jpg
    Very much like the skulls in "Indiana Jones vs The Aliens" (or whatever that movie was called):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5027058...ience-science/?ocid=msnhp&pos=10#.UNUc0u18tSU

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Re: I'm not saying it was alie....

Ugh, freaky!

4. Dec 22, 2012 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Ah, the lost art of interventional phrenology.

5. Dec 22, 2012 #4

That one doesn't very much look like a crystal.

6. Dec 22, 2012 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Intentional distortions of the features of children (be it head-binding, foot-binding, etc) has been around for a long time. While the results can be shocking to contemporary people, it is good to reflect on the cultural pressures that made such modifications "favorable" in the eyes of potential mates, and perhaps elevate or depress the childrens' social status.

It was probably a statement of the parents' status and wealth, too. If you bind the feet of a female child, it is unlikely that she would be able to perform any physical labor outside the home. Cooking and cleaning (thought servants might have taken care of that) would be possible, but what about growing and harvesting food, or gathering firewood?

7. Dec 22, 2012 #6

Pythagorean

Gold Member

So how do I stretch my children's skulls?

8. Dec 22, 2012 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Hang them by their hair? :devil:

The technique was binding the skulls to encourage elongation during early development. I can't imagine that any pointy-skulled woman would attract me, but apparently some cultures prized this type of distortion.

9. Dec 22, 2012 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This one in the OP is unusual, as normally the head is elongated, but the eye sockets remain normal, at least in previous finds.

http://shs.westport.k12.ct.us/forensics/11-forensic_anthropology/skeleton_evidence.htm [Broken]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  10. Dec 22, 2012 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well I'm officially creeped out permanently

11. Dec 22, 2012 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Join the club.

12. Dec 22, 2012 #11

The future past! That's the next phase in human evolution funded by your healthcare program is expanding the skull and tweaking the brain for whatever capacity you want. Only then will we fully understand these primitives in cahoots with the insidious alien anal probe mind control x-pear-e-ments!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook