Im not sure how to answer LOCUS question

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
In summary, the locus of points that are 3 units from (-1,2) can be described by the equation (x+1)^2 + (y-2)^2 = 9, which is the equation of a circle with center (-1,2) and radius 3. This can also be found by using the distance formula and setting it equal to 3, showing that any point that satisfies this equation will be 3 units from (-1,2).
aisha
Decribe the locus of points that are 3 units from (-1,2)

I plotted this point and then up down left and right I made points 3 units away I got

(-4,2) (-1,-1) (-1,5) and (2,2)

How do I answer this question what is the correct format to decribe the locus of points that are 3 units from (-1.2)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your in a swarm of locus! :smile:

Start with this one since it seems to be the easiest.

what is the formula for the distance between two points?

what kind of geometric figure contains points that are all the same distance from a fixed point (or center)?

Last edited:
d= square root ((x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2))
is the formula for distance between two points

what kind of geometric figure contains points that are all the same distance from a fixed point (or center)?

A circle !

Anyone know any locus sites where I can see examples and problems I can't find any. :mad:

Last edited:
plug in the distance for d, and the given point for (x1,y1) and then square it. What does that equation remind you of?

This could have alternatively been done directly by using the equation of a circle, but doing it this way shows you where that equation comes from.

MathStudent said:
plug in the distance for d, and the given point for (x1,y1) and then square it. What does that equation remind you of?

This could have alternatively been done directly by using the equation of a circle, but doing it this way shows you where that equation comes from.

What distance are u talkin about the question only gives one point is the distance 3? What am i pluging into?

I apologize that my post was so terse, I thought that the hint from the first post I did would be enough to set you on your way.

Perhaps your confused with what a locus is.

A locus is a set of points satisfying a given condition.
In this case, the condition is that everypoint in the locus (some set) must be at a distance of 3 units from the point (-1,2)

in other words, if you take any point in the locus with coordinates (x,y) and compute the distance from (-1,2) using the distance equation, you should get a distance of 3.

does that help?

One added note:
For a locus, you want to find all the points that satisfy the condition. In a plane, the set of all points that are at the same distance from a fixed point (the center) is a circle, so the equation you come up with better be the equation of a circle.

Last edited:
OK yes I do understand what a locus is now but how do I come up with an equation for the locus?

the equation of a circle is r^2=x^2+y^2

I found an example in my textbook the above equation is when the center of the circle is at (0,0) which is not the case in this question.

I have come up with an equation I don't know if this is correct it is

[tex] (x+1)^2 + (y-2)^2 =9 [/tex] If this is correct how do I check myself?

The original question was describe the locus of points that are 3 units from (-1,2) What will my therefore statement be how do I answer the question?

Last edited:
aisha said:
OK yes I do understand what a locus is now but how do I come up with an equation for the locus?

There is no set way of doing this, each problem is different, Generally you have to let your mathematical intuition guide you to the solution. I'll go through this problem in detail as an example.

In this problem,
You are given the condition that every point in the locus must be 3 units from (-1,2). Intuition should tell you that the locus should form a circle since a circle is defined to be the set of points in a plane that are equidistant from a fixed point. That distance is called the radius. However, knowing this ahead of time could save a little effort, but it is not mandatory to solving the problem.

So let's forget about circles for now, our goal is to come up with an equation for every point of the locus. Let's start with what's given and see what we can come up with. I'll restate the given just to emphasize its importance.

1. were given the point (-1,2)
2. were told that every point in the locus must be 3 units from that point.

Now if one doesn't know the distance formula, then this problem is virtually unsolvable. You could discover it on your own from the pythagorean theorem, but if a student at that level doesn't know the distance formula, then chances are, they wouldn't know the pythagorean theorem either. Bottom line, you have to start somehwere from the bag of tools you've accumulated thus far, and figure out what to use by what your given information is. Since were given distance between points, we would think to try the distance formula.

Another way of saying a point is a distance of 3 units from (-1,2), is to say that it should satisfy the distance equation; That is we should get

[tex] \sqrt{ [x-(-1)]^2 + [y-2]^2 } = 3 [/tex]

when we plug in the coordinates of the point (x,y) for a point in the locus.

since we want an equation for all such points, well leave x and y arbitrary (that is we won't specify a specific value for x and y).

Now technically at this point were done. We've come up with an equation that describes all the points for the locus. It explicitly states that if a point satisfies this equation, then it is in the locus, if it doesn't satisfy the equation then it is not in the locus since it would not be a distance of 3 from (-1,2).

To make it look nicer, and for reason's you'll see further down this post, we can square both sides to obtain the result

[tex] (x+1)^2 + (y-2)^2 =9 [/tex]

your result is correct!

the equation of a circle is r^2=x^2+y^2

I found an example in my textbook the above equation is when the center of the circle is at (0,0) which is not the case in this question.

I have come up with an equation I don't know if this is correct it is

[tex] (x+1)^2 + (y-2)^2 =9 [/tex] If this is correct how do I check myself?
Your result is correct. To check yourself, recall that we think this should be the equation of a circle.

The more general equation of a circle is defined to be.

[tex] (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2 [/tex]

with center at point (h,k) and radius r.
notice that when we plug in the values of h=0 and k=0 in this equation we get the same equation you found for a circle with center at (0,0). The more general equation of a circle can actually be derived from the distance equation. (just use h and k for the second coordinate ).

looking at your result, we see that it can be rewritten to resemble the equation of a circle

[tex] [x-(-1)]^2 + [y-2]^2 = 3^2 [/tex]

comparing this to the equation of a circle, we see that the result is an equation for a cirlce with center (-1,2) and radius 3. So our intuition was right.

The original question was describe the locus of points that are 3 units from (-1,2) What will my therefore statement be how do I answer the question?
To write the answer, it is enough to say that the locus is the set of all points that satisfy the equation,

[tex] (x+1)^2 + (y-2)^2 =9 [/tex]

or alternatively you could say that the locus forms a cirlce with the above equation.

I apologize that this post was so long, but I was trying to give an in depth approach to the thought process behind solving such a problem. In so doing I repeated myself many times but it seemed this was necessary due to the nature of the questions being asked. It seemed apparent that short answers were not having much of an effect.

-MS

Last edited:
OMG MATH STUDENT Thanks soooo much I really needed that I printed out your post for future reference. I wasnt sure if I did the question right because its an online course and they didnt show me an example or the standard form of the equation of a circle. Luckily I found a similar problem in a math textbook I had and followed that to get my answer thanks so much again.

1. What is a LOCUS question?

A LOCUS question is a type of scientific inquiry question that focuses on the relationship between two variables. It typically asks about the effect of one variable on another, and requires a clear hypothesis and experimental design to answer.

2. How do I approach answering a LOCUS question?

To answer a LOCUS question, you should first identify the independent and dependent variables in the question. Then, develop a hypothesis about the relationship between these variables and design an experiment to test it. Finally, analyze your data and draw conclusions based on your results.

3. What types of experiments are suitable for answering LOCUS questions?

Experiments that manipulate the independent variable and measure the effect on the dependent variable are best for answering LOCUS questions. These can include controlled experiments, randomized controlled trials, and natural experiments.

4. Can I answer a LOCUS question without conducting an experiment?

It is possible to answer a LOCUS question without conducting an experiment if there is existing data available that addresses the question. However, conducting an experiment allows for more control over variables and can strengthen the validity of the answer.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when answering a LOCUS question?

Some common mistakes to avoid when answering a LOCUS question include not clearly identifying the independent and dependent variables, not having a clear hypothesis, not controlling for confounding variables, and not analyzing the data properly. It is also important to ensure that the experiment is ethical and the results are accurately reported.