1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm not sure if this is a math help website, but if it is please help!

1. Aug 7, 2008 #1
    I was excepted into the nursing program at my college and need to review some math for a test. I don't know how too do this type of problem.

express 0.3% as a ratio.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First question - do you know what % means? Answer - (per hundred)
    Second question - do you know what 0.3/100 means? Answer - (3/1000)
    Final question - do you know what ratio means and what it is for the answers?

4. Aug 7, 2008 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Um, also, if you're taking an acceptance test, you might want to review some grammar too. Your words-to-errors ratio is 29:2 (or 6.9%). :rolleyes:

5. Aug 7, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Amber Manges! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Yes, this definitely is a math help website!

Do post your other problems here, but show us what you think the answer is, or say which word you don't understand (was it "ratio" in this case?), so we can see where you're having trouble, and know how to help you. :smile:

And start a blog, if you like … most members write boring physics in their blogs, so nursing maths (mathematical nursing? :confused:) would be a refreshing change! :wink:

6. Aug 7, 2008 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Replace the "%" with the fraction "1/100", and carry out the multiplication:

0.3% =

[tex]
    0.3 \ \text{x} \ \frac{1}{100} = \frac{0.3}{100}
    [/tex]

If they want a fraction with integers (no decimals like 0.3) then you'll need to work with the expression a little more, but hopefully that is enough to get you started.

7. Aug 7, 2008 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I got 34:2 = 5.9%, but the 2nd error was just capitalization, not grammar. Did I miss one?

(Note to Amber -- we don't usually give folks too bad a time about grammar. Dave and I are kidding around...)

8. Aug 7, 2008 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I only counted the OP's message, not the problem statement.

Yes, Amber, Dave gets the 'worlds leastest warmest welcomer' hat :shy:, which he will wear with shame until such time as you pass your exam.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?