I'm not worried about Global Warming

• Thread starter Blenton
  • Start date

mheslep

Gold Member
I think it was Carl Sagan ( I could be wrong) that said that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. For example if you told me that a mouse was in the next room I would require little evidence to believe you. However, if you said that a moon man was in the next room I would require a ton of evidence to believe you. When you claim that every scientific organization of national or international standing is part of a global conspiracy, I require a lot of evidence.
Sagan was right, but in my view your application of his phrase is baffling upside down. The claims regarding the impact of AWG are extraordinarily extraordinary: millions will die of famine, storms will ravage the earth, sea levels will drown existing coast lines, and most all of this will happen in this century. Given all these extraordinary claims, you look not to evidence at all, but to consensus.

interesting point.

... millions will die of famine, storms will ravage the earth, sea levels will drown existing coast lines, and most all of this will happen in this century.
So be it.

Earth's climate has changed dramatically over the past 4+ billion years, nothing new. Just because we - the humans - are on the tableau now doesn't mean climate has to conform to our standards.

As far as I know we don't have the ability to change weather patterns which means we have to adjust. If cities like New Orleans, Houston, or even countries like Bangladesh get swamped - we will move on. Honestly, how dumb can one be and establish a life in say, Florida? It's a disaster waiting to happen. Move to save grounds. :wink:

Does anyone wonder if natural bushfires release more co2 than manmade sources?

You keep mentioning that one should not accept consensus opinions and say that to do so is argument at populum.
From the site given by Andre ( post 69)
"Not every reliance upon the testimony of authority figures is fallacious. We often rely upon such testimony, and we can do so for very good reason. Their talent, training and experience put them in a position to evaluate and report on evidence not readily available to everyone else. But we must keep in mind that for such an appeal to be justified, certain standards must be met:

1. The authority is an expert in the area of knowledge under consideration.

2. The statement of the authority concerns his or her area of mastery.

3. There is agreement among experts in the area of knowledge under consideration."
If we accept #1 and #2, what about #3,

the first of a few authorities in the area of knowledge under consideration with statements concerning his or her area of mastery.

Chris Landsea's letter of resignation from the IPCC

...I am withdrawing because I have come to view the part of the IPCC to which my expertise is relevant as having become politicized. In addition, when I have raised my concerns to the IPCC leadership, their response was simply to dismiss my concerns.

...Shortly after Dr. Trenberth requested that I draft the Atlantic hurricane section for the AR4's Observations chapter, Dr. Trenberth participated in a press conference organized by scientists at Harvard on the topic "Experts to warn global warming likely to continue spurring more outbreaks of intense hurricane activity" along with other media interviews on the topic. The result of this media interaction was widespread coverage that directly connected the very busy 2004 Atlantic hurricane season as being caused by anthropogenic greenhouse gas warming occurring today....

...To my knowledge, none of the participants in that press conference had performed any research on hurricane variability, nor were they reporting on any new work in the field. All previous and current research in the area of hurricane variability has shown no reliable,
long-term trend up in the frequency or intensity of tropical cyclones, either in the Atlantic or any other basin. The IPCC assessments in 1995 and 2001 also concluded that there was no global warming signal found in the hurricane record.....

... personally cannot in good faith continue to contribute to a process that I view as both being motivated by pre-conceived agendas and being scientifically unsound. As the IPCC leadership has seen no wrong in Dr. Trenberth's actions and have retained him as a Lead Author for the AR4, I have decided to no longer participate in the IPCC AR4.

Last edited:
Wow, did you just give us Alberta?!? We're reciprocate by giving you Alabama...we'll throw in Mississippi too, just since your're such good neighbors :smile:!
alabama is not for sale.

you can take some of the northern energy-hog states if you like.

http://knol.google.com/k/michael-walsh/us-energy-consumption-the-big-picture/ltc02gtfr337/3#Energy_consumption_and_climate [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
you can take some of the northern energy-hog states if you like.

http://knol.google.com/k/michael-walsh/us-energy-consumption-the-big-picture/ltc02gtfr337/3#Energy_consumption_and_climate [Broken]
It's painful to know that all my efforts in minimizing consumption in Mystic, Connecticut is being negated by a single outdoor jacuzzi in New Canaan.

"Not every reliance upon the testimony of authority figures is fallacious. .... But we must keep in mind that for such an appeal to be justified, certain standards must be met:

1. The authority is an expert in the area of knowledge under consideration.

2. The statement of the authority concerns his or her area of mastery.

3. There is agreement among experts in the area of knowledge under consideration."
If we accept #1 and #2, what about #3,?

..the first Chris Landsea's letter of resignation from the IPCC
the second of a few authorities in the area of knowledge under consideration with statements concerning his or her area of mastery.

David Demings testimony for the U.S. Senate Committee on Environment & Public Works

....I had another interesting experience around the time my paper in Science was published. I received an astonishing email from a major researcher in the area of climate change. He said, "We have to get rid of the Medieval Warm Period."

The Medieval Warm Period (MWP) was a time of unusually warm weather that began around 1000 AD and persisted until a cold period known as the "Little Ice Age" took hold in the 14th century. Warmer climate brought a remarkable flowering of prosperity, knowledge, and art to Europe during the High Middle Ages.

The existence of the MWP had been recognized in the scientific literature for decades. But now it was a major embarrassment to those maintaining that the 20th century warming was truly anomalous. It had to be "gotten rid of."....

the third of a few authorities in the area of knowledge under consideration with statements concerning his or her area of mastery.

http://www.climateaudit.org/pdf/others/07142006_Wegman_Report.pdf [Broken]

....This report concerns the rise in global temperatures, specifically during the 1990s. The MBH98 and MBH99 papers are focused on paleoclimate temperature reconstruction and conclusions therein focus on what appear to be a rapid rise in global temperature during the 1990s when compared with temperatures of the previous millennium. These conclusions generated a highly polarized debate over the policy implications of MBH98, MBH99 for the nature of global climate change, and whether or not anthropogenic actions are the source....

...In general, we found MBH98 and MBH99 to be somewhat obscure and incomplete and the criticisms of MM03/05a/05b to be valid and compelling...

...In our further exploration of the social network of authorships in temperature reconstruction, we found that at least 43 authors have direct ties to Dr. Mann by virtue of coauthored papers with him. Our findings from this analysis suggest that authors in the area of paleoclimate studies are closely connected and thus ‘independent studies’ may not be as independent as they might appear on the surface....

...It is important to note the isolation of the paleoclimate community; even though they rely heavily on statistical methods they do not seem to be interacting with the statistical community. Additionally, we judge that the sharing of research materials, data and results was haphazardly and grudgingly done. In this case we judge that there was too much reliance on peer review, which was not necessarily independent. Moreover, the work has been sufficiently politicized that this community can hardly reassess their public positions without losing credibility. Overall, our committee believes that Mann’s assessments that the decade of the 1990s was the hottest decade of the millennium and that 1998 was the hottest year of the millennium cannot be supported by his analysis.

And here are a lot more authorities in the area of knowledge under consideration with statements concerning his or her area of mastery.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads