How do I solve for gravitational force and tension in physics?

• Thread starter matchboxdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discussed questions regarding physics problems involving gravitational force and tension. The first question involved two parts of a spaceship with known weights and distance, and required using the formula F=(G*m1*m2)/r^2 to determine the gravitational force. The second question involved a car towing a boat and trailer, and required using the equation T=m*a to find the tension in the hitch. The conversation also clarified that the masses of the objects should be used, not their weights, and provided the correct calculations for both questions.
matchboxdude
I have a few questions that I desparately need help with. I'm new to this physics thing and it is really getting me.

On Earth, you have two parts of a spaceship with weights 19000N and 5100N. They are separated center to center by 10m and are uniform spherical objects. what is the magnitude of the gravitational force that each part exerts on each other out in space, far from everything?
I figure i would use F=(G*m1*m2)/r2 / F=(6.67E-11*19000*5100)/10^2 , but i got the question wrong. So, I don;t know my other options...

Then another question is...
A car is towing a boat on a trailer. The car starts from rest and accelerates to a speed of 12m/s in 18seconds. The combined mass of the boat and trailer is 490kg. What is the tension in the hitch that connects the trailer to the car?
I have an equation from a different problem, but I'm not sure if it works for this problem. T + 9.8 = mass*accelleration. But using this gives me an incorrect answer. So I assume I am going in the wrong direction again.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
#1 m1 and m2 are the masses of the parts of the spaceship not their weights.

ahh that would make a difference. so would i use Weight = (G* Mass of Earth* mass of object)/radius of the earth^2 to get the masses then plug then into the formula i mentioned earlier?

i mean you have to convert their weights into masses first before you put them into the formula. W=mg where
W= weight of part
m= mass of the part
g = the gravity acceleration on Earth = 9.81 meter per second per second

ok i did that, plugged the numbers back into the original equation and got 6.73e-7 N does that sound like it could be correct?

i went ahead and used that answer and got it correct. thank you very much. how about that second problem? i don't have any clue where to go with it

The acceleration a for the car and the trailer is given by (Assume a is constant through the towing):
[tex] a=\frac{v-u}{t}[/tex]
[tex]a=\frac{12-0}{18}[/tex]
a=2/3 meter per second per second
Consider the boat & trailer :
[tex]\Sigma\vec{F}=m\vec{a}[/tex]
[tex]T=m_{trailer\&boat}*a[/tex]
T= 490*(2/3) = 327 N

Attachments

• Picture.GIF
    Picture.GIF
    960 bytes · Views: 424

1. What does it mean to be "physics illiterate"?

"Physics illiterate" refers to a lack of basic knowledge and understanding in the field of physics. It can also refer to a lack of interest or ability to comprehend the laws and principles of physics.

2. Why is it important to understand physics?

Physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world. It helps us understand how the universe works and allows us to make predictions and innovations in fields such as technology, engineering, and medicine.

3. Can anyone become physics literate?

Yes, anyone can become physics literate with the right resources, dedication, and effort. While some people may have a natural aptitude for understanding physics, it is a subject that can be learned and understood by anyone.

4. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include thinking that it only applies to complex theories and equations, or that it is only relevant to scientists and academics. In reality, physics is all around us and can be applied to everyday phenomena and practical applications.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

There are many ways to improve your understanding of physics, including reading books and articles, watching educational videos, attending lectures or workshops, and practicing problem-solving. It's also helpful to seek out a mentor or tutor who can guide you and answer any questions you may have.