I'm plagued by oscillations.

I'm working on an IF amp and whatever I do it starts oscillating.

A monolithic crystal filter 10.7 MHz, about 330 ohm is fed into a nicely designed npn transistor 20 dB amp, with bypass caps all over the sucker. It is in common emmiter configuration. The amp responds nicely to a test signal, but when I touch one end of the filter to the base, the amp starts oscillating at 10.7 MHz. I have to disconnect it from power to kill oscillation.

I tried a simple L match, but has no affect. So somehow the amp is getting a positive feedback.

Is there anyway to fix the problem?

Last edited:

berkeman

Mentor
Can you post a picture and the schematic? Is it a kit, a homebrew, a work design, or working with an existing circuit from a TV or something?

Problem fixed, I put a 3.3 pf cap across the collector and the base to provide some more negative feedback. Oscillation stopped but the gain went down, grrr.

Don't have schematics, it's just a normal amp, I'm just baffled as to why that happened.

NoTime

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Proper sheilding is probaby the issue.
You need to keep the amp output from being radiated back to the input.

berkeman

Mentor
Problem fixed, I put a 3.3 pf cap across the collector and the base to provide some more negative feedback. Oscillation stopped but the gain went down, grrr.

Don't have schematics, it's just a normal amp, I'm just baffled as to why that happened.
Instead of increasing the Miller capacitance like that, try adding a ferrite bead in series with the base of that transistor. If the transistor is a through-hole device, you can often just string a bead onto the base lead.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving