I'm ready to install Apache, I think

In summary: To install Apache on Ubuntu type:sudo apt-get install apache2To install Apache on Fedora type:sudo yum install apache2To install Apache on openSUSE type:sudo zypper install apache2
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
So I've installed my Linux program and now have decided to run a nice little webserver. The latest version of Apache on their website is 1.3.3 I believe but I've heard that their is a 2.0 version. Can someone show me where this is? Also, I've heard that installing this on Linux can be a little hard. Any tips? I've Googled for some but haven't found any great tutorials.

Thanks guys,
Jameson

Computer science news on Phys.org
Depending upon your Linux distribution, you can use a package manager to install Apache. It's really quite simple that way. What distribution are you using?

- Warren

I'm using Mandriva LE 2005

It should be on one of the CDs.

The latest is apache2, you can get the source to compile here http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi. On windows apache2 works better since I don't run into some of the problems that i had with 1.3. I have it with php5.04 and mysql 4.1

Its better to get Apache2 off the cds. I can guarantee you that it's there.

Exequor, he is not installing apache on windows, so it doesn't matter if apache2 works better than apache1 on windows.

Thanks to all. I installed Apache 2 off of the install disk, but now I have no idea how to run it or configure it. This seems so much more difficult than my familiar Windows. I don't even know how to run the server, or PHP, or MySQL. How do I do this?

Thank you guys

It's actually quite simple. To start apache simply type:

/etc/init.d/apache2 start

To start mysql type:

/etc/init.d/mysql start

To stop apache type:

/etc/init.d/apache2 stop

Once you start apache go to http://localhost in your browser. You'll see an apache test page.

Now I don't know if Mandriva sets USERDIR by default on apache but if it does you should be able to create a public_html folder in your home directory, stick your html, php, etc files in there and go to http://localhost/~username/index.html [Broken]

Check to see if PHP is running in apache by putting a test php file in public_html and then going to that page: http://localhost/~username/test.php [Broken]

If you get a permission denied when trying to visit any of your test pages make sure to set the right permissions on the directories with chmod 644 <filename>

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the command to start Apache but it says no such file existed. I'm positive I installed it, I just don't know where to find the file. Any suggestions? Shouldn't it be where you said?

try:

ls /etc/init.d/

There should be an apache file there if you installed it.

I browsed the files in that folder, none named Apache. Should I be looking in some kind of root folder? I was so sure I installed it. I went through the whole install wizard and had to put in the CD's and it said Apache installed...

:(

Jameson

apachectl start

/etc/init.d/apache2 start.. If this did not work, this will also probably not work, but you could try it...

apachectl start

command could not be found

-------------

It didn't work... does anyone here run their own Apache server or had any of the same problems I'm having?

Thanks for all of your help guys

install apache from the net, it's worth a try and it's not difficult..

I'm about to give up. I really understand nothing about Apache and everything I've read on it is useless. Has anyone had these feelings when dealing with Linux? I thought it would be much nicer, but I've had one big headache.

I don't understand how Apache works, and it runs in the background; I can't see any GUI to watch the processes or configure anything. Where do I put my webpages?

Times like these, I'm just so tempted to reinstall Windows...

It doesn't seem like you installed apache. Boot from the mandriva cds and select upgrade. Then when it prompts you about the packages make sure apache, php and mysql are installed.

I finally figured out Apache is running... I just have to learn a lot about configuring it. Why can't Linux be as easy as Windows?! Uggg.. I went to http://localhost and got the test page, so Apache is up and running. I'll try running Webmin to see if that helps.

Jameson

1. What is Apache and why do I need to install it?

Apache is a web server software that allows you to host and publish websites on the internet. It is necessary for running websites and web applications.

2. How do I install Apache on my computer?

The installation process for Apache varies depending on your operating system. Generally, you can download the Apache installer and follow the prompts to install it on your computer. It is recommended to refer to the official Apache documentation for detailed instructions.

3. Do I need any other software or tools to install Apache?

No, Apache can be installed on its own without any additional software or tools. However, if you plan on using Apache to run dynamic websites or web applications, you may also need to install other software such as PHP or MySQL.

4. Can I modify Apache's configuration after installation?

Yes, Apache's configuration can be modified after installation. You can make changes to the server settings, add or remove modules, and configure virtual hosts according to your needs.

5. Is it necessary to have technical knowledge to install Apache?

Some technical knowledge is recommended for installing Apache, as it involves downloading and configuring software. However, there are many resources available online that can guide you through the installation process and troubleshoot any issues that may arise.