AS Level Struggles: Should I Drop Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of AS levels at a new, competitive school and the struggle to apply concepts in physics and mathematics. The speaker advises against dropping physics, as it will limit future options for university. They share their own experience with GCSEs and offer advice on how to prepare for A levels. The conversation ends with the speaker sharing their own GCSE results and thoughts on the subjects.
checkerrs
I've just started my AS levels at a new school in a different area. My previous school was a pretty average state school and my new school is incredibly competitive which is a massive shock to the system (I've gone from being one of the top students to a little fish in a big pond ahaha). I was originally planning on studying physics or a joint physics and politics or philosophy at uni but I'm finding the AS physics course really difficult. I've not got on too well with my teacher and i find the atmosphere in the class in a bit unfriendly and competitive. I understand the concepts well but I'm struggling to apply them in questions and I'm struggling with some of the maths of the course (even though I'm doing well in my maths class). I'm beginning to think that I'm going to fail the subject at worst and at best do considerably worse in physics than in my other subjects. Should I drop physics and just focus on my other courses?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Dont drop A level physics, it will cut you out of engineering, most science and even some math courses for university.

I was like you, I went from an even worse school with these gcses:

A* AAA BBB C
and got this at AS LEVEL
A* BBCC - Economics maths physics english and chemistry. respectively
and got this at A2 level:
A*BC - Economics maths physics. School wasn't to interested in me doing chemistry and english after getting a C!

What were your gcses? Do you feel like you learned something in gcses? I sturggled because I never learned anything during gcses and found it hard, like you, to apply the concepts. Mathematical thinking requires flexibility and awareness of how the concepts relate to each other. I will try to write up a list of skills I wish I had before entering a levels, but here's the current advice for you:

1. Download the syllabus for your a levels, for CIE they called it the learner guide. They list the content you need to know. KNOW THIS inside out.
2. Start doing more and more questions and thinking more about what you don't understand throughout the day, very important in math IMO.
3. Start doing past papers as early as possible, go through them at least for now.
4. GCSES don't really prepare you if you don't do well in them. and if you do badly in them usually you do badly in as and a levels too. people with all A*s in gcses got All A*s in a levels too. But no one with a record like mine got more than one A* FOR THE MOST part.

The competitive atmosphere is a good thing, because even though my grades were pathetic the school I went to and lot of personal issues I had, would have meant I wouldve barely passed if not for competitive atmoshpere.

Also note a levels are a standard across which everyone is measured, so doing well in them ensures you go to a good school, and doing badly in them means you might not go to the school you want, and university gets even harder and the content is less organised for you. Better prepare yourself to work hard and stay on top of things mentally, university is 10x harder.

edit: Number 4 won't apply if you work harder, smarter, longer etc.

Last edited:
Bipolar Demon said:
No. Dont drop A level physics, it will cut you out of engineering, most science and even some math courses for university.

I was like you, I went from an even worse school with these gcses:

A* AAA BBB C
and got this at AS LEVEL
A* BBCC - Economics maths physics english and chemistry. respectively
and got this at A2 level:
A*BC - Economics maths physics. School wasn't to interested in me doing chemistry and english after getting a C!

What were your gcses? Do you feel like you learned something in gcses? I sturggled because I never learned anything during gcses and found it hard, like you, to apply the concepts. Mathematical thinking requires flexibility and awareness of how the concepts relate to each other. I will try to write up a list of skills I wish I had before entering a levels, but here's the current advice for you:

1. Download the syllabus for your a levels, for CIE they called it the learner guide. They list the content you need to know. KNOW THIS inside out.
2. Start doing more and more questions and thinking more about what you don't understand throughout the day, very important in math IMO.
3. Start doing past papers as early as possible, go through them at least for now.
4. GCSES don't really prepare you if you don't do well in them. and if you do badly in them usually you do badly in as and a levels too. people with all A*s in gcses got All A*s in a levels too. But no one with a record like mine got more than one A* FOR THE MOST part.

The competitive atmosphere is a good thing, because even though my grades were pathetic the school I went to and lot of personal issues I had, would have meant I wouldve barely passed if not for competitive atmoshpere.

Also note a levels are a standard across which everyone is measured, so doing well in them ensures you go to a good school, and doing badly in them means you might not go to the school you want, and university gets even harder and the content is less organised for you. Better prepare yourself to work hard and stay on top of things mentally, university is 10x harder.
At GCSE I got A* AAAAAAABB I think and I did AS level Philosophy and Ethics alongside this and got a B. GCSEs were alright, I found my science-y classes interesting but humanities was so basic and formulaic that they drained my will to live. I think at GCSE I only revised the stuff I wasn't so good which was a bit of a mistake (the two B's were actually my best subjects - Comp sci and further additional science)

My revision style for GCSE was basically making a big poster with everything i needed to know for a test the night before and if I didn't do well on the test I would take it home and analyse exactly where I went wrong and then make sure I didn't make the same mistake twice. At my new school, we're not allowed to take our tests home or to take pictures of the paper so this technique is obviously not going to work any more!

I'll take your strategy on board - thanks for the help :)

checkerrs said:
I'll take your strategy on board - thanks for the help :)

You could find that as you study these things your desire changes and you want to do something else, maybe due to new interest, or evem employability!:-)

Physics and maths are essential for most degrees in science. That's why we don't recommend it, and with such stellar grades in gcses you will be fine if and only if you work harder. these math websites may help as they helped me for a level:

http://www.cimt.org.uk/projects/mepres/alevel/alevel.htm
http://www.mathcentre.ac.uk/students/topics/

1. Should I drop Physics if I am struggling with it at AS level?

It ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and goals. Consider talking to your teacher or academic advisor about your struggles and discussing potential solutions before making a decision.

2. Will dropping Physics affect my future career or university options?

It may impact your options in certain STEM fields or universities that require Physics, but there are many other career paths and universities that do not require Physics at AS level. It is important to research and consider your options carefully.

3. Can I still achieve a good grade in Physics if I am struggling at AS level?

If you are willing to put in the effort and seek help from your teacher or a tutor, it is possible to improve and achieve a good grade in Physics at AS level. However, it may require extra dedication and hard work.

4. Is it better to drop Physics now or wait until A level?

Again, this depends on your individual situation. If you are struggling significantly and do not see yourself improving, it may be better to drop Physics at AS level. However, if you are determined to improve and have a strong interest in the subject, it may be worth continuing to A level.

5. What are the potential consequences of dropping Physics at AS level?

Aside from potentially limiting your options in certain career paths or universities, dropping Physics at AS level may also affect your overall academic balance and may require you to take on another subject to replace it. It is important to discuss this with your academic advisor and consider the impact on your overall academic profile.