I'm sad that I don't understand physics

• Thread starter Yayfordoritos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the person struggled to understand the concept of force in relation to gravity and was discouraged from pursuing their passion in physics. However, others advised them to keep trying and not give up, as understanding these concepts takes time and practice. In the end, the person realized that wanting to be something, such as a physicist, shows potential and should not be discouraged by initial challenges.
Yayfordoritos
I just read the book understanding gravity and I tried to do the math problems in them Newtons law of gravity f=ma and I got completely lost. I didn't understand what he meant by an object at rest exerts the same amount of force as an object falling. I didn't understand the math about it. I guess I'm just not cut out for this, and I should just learn my place. I want to be a physicists but I guess I'm just going to have to be satisfied being a struggling single mom, with no passion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yayfordoritos said:
I just read the book understanding gravity and I tried to do the math problems in them Newtons law of gravity f=ma and I got completely lost. I didn't understand what he meant by an object at rest exerts the same amount of force as an object falling. I didn't understand the math about it. I guess I'm just not cut out for this, and I should just learn my place. I want to be a physicists but I guess I'm just going to have to be satisfied being a struggling single mom, with no passion.
It's not for everyone, so don't let it get to you. Find something that you are good at.

Keep your chin up! I'm no physicist, but as I understand it, an object in a gravitational field exerts a force in the direction of the field proportional to it's mass and the acceleration due to gravity, so for a 10kg mass sitting somewhere on Earth the force is equal to 10kg * 9.8ms/s = 98 Newtons.

Notice that when calculating this force there is no reference to the objects velocity, so whether it is at rest, or moving, the force applied to the object is the same, 98 Newtons in the direction of the gravitational field, which is towards the center of the Earth's mass.

The difference is that an object in freefall, for example, will continue accelerating because there is no opposing force to slow it (ignoring air resistance), but an object on the ground has an equal and opposite force applied to it causing it to remain 'at rest' and not fall through the ground.

Maybe I fluffed a few things but it's important to take the equation for what it is, a force measure, it's not measuring how much you think you weigh while freefalling, it's measuring the force applied to a body due to gravity.

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I did the same thing before I took a physics course and felt a bit 'confuttled' after reading it. I didn't have the skill of reading the English language and translating it into math. It's a skill that can be acquired so don't give up. Heck I failed my first physics course ever, but after some time I learned from my mistake and ended up passing every course afterward.

So with that said, my general advice is to spend more time learning math and reading physics. Ask questions here and always remember everyone has struggled somewhere along their career path.

Looking back, it took me quite a long time to understand those Newton equations so I had to practice to a lot. Even after my high school physics, I still didn't understand them that much. It wasn't just me but all my classmates too, our first year class midterm average was 15-30% even though midterm covered only these motion and force equations. But more time we spent with them, more comfortable we got.

You wouldn't understand things just by reading a chapter unless you are superwoman. It takes time :smile:

Oh, I just thought maybe she'd find something else she excelled at.

Nevermind.

Adyssa said:
Keep your chin up! I'm no physicist, but as I understand it, an object in a gravitational field exerts a force in the direction of the field proportional to it's mass and the acceleration due to gravity, so for a 10kg mass sitting somewhere on Earth the force is equal to 10kg * 9.8ms/s = 98 Newtons.

Notice that when calculating this force there is no reference to the objects velocity, so whether it is at rest, or moving, the force applied to the object is the same, 98 Newtons in the direction of the gravitational field, which is towards the center of the Earth's mass.

The difference is that an object in freefall, for example, will continue accelerating because there is no opposing force to slow it (ignoring air resistance), but an object on the ground has an equal and opposite force applied to it causing it to remain 'at rest' and not fall through the ground.

Maybe I fluffed a few things but it's important to take the equation for what it is, a force measure, it's not measuring how much you think you weigh while freefalling, it's measuring the force applied to a body due to gravity.

So I think I understand somewhat. When an object is at rest it uses the the same amount of force as when it's falling unless you put pressure on that object. For instance I just slapped someone recently, before people go off I had every right to slap this chic, I will explain it later. My hand had force behind it so it accelarated the speed which made it hurt more. I don't want go get kicked off so I will explain the slap.

Yayfordoritos said:
Wanting to be something, e.g., physicist, indicates something of a passion.

Physics is not readily intuitive for many folks, but it can be learned over time.

Hyperphysics provides a nice and relatively simple background covering many concepts.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/newt.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

PF is also a good place to learn.

Yayfordoritos said:
When you find the next thing to be passionate about, will you give up on it too at the first difficulty?

Jimmy Snyder said:
When you find the next thing to be passionate about, will you give up on it too at the first difficulty?

No I'm sticking with this, I was just frustrated and wanted to vent.

You can forever expand your understanding, even if it's by small increments. Don't give up.

You may need to read about or listen to or discuss a concept in 10 or more places before you understand it.

You may have to read listen/discuss it more than once.

You may not understand it until you are done reading, perhaps while you are doing something else.

1. What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe.

2. Why is it important to understand physics?

Understanding physics helps us to understand the world around us and how it works. It also allows us to develop new technologies and make advancements in various fields such as engineering, medicine, and space exploration.

3. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include the idea that it is only for geniuses or that it is too difficult to understand. In reality, anyone can learn and understand the basic concepts of physics with the right approach and determination.

4. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

The best way to improve your understanding of physics is to practice, practice, practice. Work through problems and experiments, read textbooks and watch educational videos, and seek help from teachers or tutors if needed. It also helps to have a strong foundation in mathematics.

5. What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics has countless real-world applications, from the technology we use every day (such as cell phones and computers) to more complex applications like renewable energy sources and space travel. Understanding physics can also help in making informed decisions about health and safety, as well as understanding natural phenomena like weather patterns and earthquakes.