Overcome Math Anxiety: Tips for Higher Math Courses

• Thread starter PhysicsHigh
  • Start date
In summary, you are taking higher math courses and you are nervous. You should focus on practicing, and don't get scared when you see math problems.
PhysicsHigh
How can I not be so worried about it? I am going to be taking higher math courses and I am nervous.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your options are:
Have a life besides maths, or make a life out of maths.

What math class are you in now, and what classes do you plan to take later in high school and college?

Are you nervous for a good reason (such as you're not doing well in your present class), or are you just nervous? If you're not currently doing as well as you would like, it's possible that you don't know the material in previous classes as well as you should. If that's the case, set aside some time regularly to go back and review the material you're weak on and work problems in that material. One of the best things you can do to instill confidence is to increase your competence.

just realize math is like any other skill - it takes some practice to get good at. Don't get fooled by those "smart" kids, chances are they just practiced and did their homework. Very few people are truly gifted at math, but anyone can be good at it.

"practice makes man perfect" truly applies in case of maths... the more you solve the more clear your concepts become and the better you can understand the subject..

if your not so strong in math then focus on other subjects like science or history. get through your required math courses then sign up for other courses you excel in

PhysicsHigh said:
How can I not be so worried about it? I am going to be taking higher math courses and I am nervous.

Can you describe your math education up to now? Is it really the material that scares you, or is it the math courses?

Gaining confidence with mathematics does take patient study and practice.

Don't be scared. Just try as hard as you can and let the chips fall where they may.

If you don't do well, at least you can't blame yourself. However, I find that if one tries REALLY hard one will do well.

yes... more practice!

I love math! I don't see why you should be at all nervous or scared of it. Believe me, I used to suck at math! It was horrible, but then I started getting the hang of it and started excelling in it. Just got to practice and don't get scared when you see a problem, equation, or formula. :)

Like the other people said, the more you practice, the better off you will be. I used to hate mathematics, up until last year. I think the reason was that I never felt very uncomfortable on the tests. I would try to study my notes instead of doing the assigned problems for the exams. Although this tactic worked in my other courses, math is different. The more problems you do, the more comfortable you will get. Good luck!

1. What is math anxiety?

Math anxiety is the feeling of fear, tension, or stress that arises when a person is faced with a math problem or math-related task. It can manifest as physical symptoms, such as sweating or rapid heart rate, and can lead to avoidance of math courses or tasks.

2. How can I overcome math anxiety?

There are several strategies that can help you overcome math anxiety. These include practicing regularly, breaking down problems into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, and using relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or visualization.

3. Can math anxiety affect my performance in higher math courses?

Yes, math anxiety can significantly impact a person's performance in higher math courses. It can lead to a decrease in confidence, difficulty understanding concepts, and avoidance of challenging problems. It is essential to address math anxiety early on to prevent it from affecting your performance in higher math courses.

4. How can I build my confidence in math?

Building confidence in math takes time and effort. One way to build confidence is by practicing regularly and setting achievable goals. It can also be helpful to work on your mindset and challenge negative thoughts about your abilities in math. Seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also boost your confidence by providing you with the necessary support and guidance.

5. Are there any resources available to help me overcome math anxiety?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you overcome math anxiety. These include online tutorials, practice problems, and worksheets. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher, attend support groups or workshops, and read books or articles on overcoming math anxiety. It is essential to find the resources that work best for you and use them consistently to overcome your math anxiety.