Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm scared!

1. Mar 13, 2006 #1

Mk

Never, have I ever gotten ANY spam. I just got three phishing emails in the last two days. I hope this isn't the start of a trend. How the hell did my email address get out? I think the emails were sent through a brute force kind of messaging system. I never ever give out my personal email to anyone (or any company) that I wouldn't expect and email from.

:surprised :frown: :grumpy: :cry: :yuck:

Well, I marked all both of them that weren't marked, as phishing attacks. So people won't fall for them. :smile: :redface:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use spamgourmet or zoemail. Problem solved.

- Warren

4. Mar 14, 2006 #3

Mk

To redirect spam from my account to another? I don't think so! AHHHH I'm pulling out my hair!! I just got another one of those BEEP emails, from ebay, and it was dumb too, the html didn't even render.

5. Mar 14, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you'd actually look into what spamgourmet and zoemail DO, you'd understand that they are effectively the only real zero-spam services in existence.

- Warren

6. Mar 14, 2006 #5

Mk

I did, last month or so, and I remember that it generates an email address for your spam to go to.

7. Mar 14, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it doesn't. These service generate disposable email addresses. When your business with some entity is done, you can simply turn off the address, and they can no longer send you anything.

If/when some spammer gets ahold of a disposable address, you just disable it and get on with your life.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?