Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm Shocked By This Letter

1. Jun 19, 2013 #1
    Honestly, can't even accept the instant kiwi tickets? Could have written in a way that didn't make you sound unappreciated by my gesture to send you a gift in return for signing my book. I guess that's how some Americans think they can be - ungrateful. Why can't she accept them?

*annoyed*

I also made it clear in the initial email to the Supreme Court that NZ Post don't give parcel mail coupons for use overseas. Only an idiot would think the book would go in a standard envelope and not be processed as a parcel.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't get your beef at all. Sounds to me like a perfectly courteous and quite reasonable response.

4. Jun 19, 2013 #3
    "In addition, said Justice is unable to accept ..." could have been written as 'Also unfortunately, ...' to be more polite, and a reason given why. The sentence in which it is contained I would also question.

They evidently also forgot that I can't send postal coupons, or a pre paid self addressed envelope for the book. It can't fit in what one typically calls an envelope. They're called parcel bags.

5. Jun 19, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Lol why did you want Sotomayor's autograph anyways?

6. Jun 19, 2013 #5
    Might as well. She's a high authority figure in the USA legal system, so might as well if she accepts.

I've got the signatures of Anton Zeilinger and Tony Leggett, in my copies of their books. Also Barbara Walters in her memoir.

7. Jun 19, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Can you get me an autograph from Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert xP

8. Jun 19, 2013 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like they will work out a postal payment. Stevie, I can pay the postal costs from the US end for you. Just let me know.

9. Jun 20, 2013 #8
    Thanks for the kind offer, but its all good. I am quite happy to pay for the return of the book - it was just a matter of how. I'm sure when I discuss the matter with the gift shop tomorrow they will be able to inform me on how to get the money to them, even if its via my Visa debit card.

What stuns me the most is her non-acceptance of the gifts that I went to the trouble getting as a thank you for signing my book. She needn't have scratched them, and merely had them on her wall. But to bluntly refuse them is beyond me - nor is any explanation given in the letter. Alas I will ask tomorrow when I call. I feel like my efforts went unappreciated.

10. Jun 20, 2013 #9

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Federal officials are in general forbidden from accepting gifts unless they do so on behalf of the United States. Many of the gifts given by foreign officials to such officers like the President, members of the Cabinet, etc. are turned over to institutions like the Smithsonian.

I don't think Justice Sotomayor intended to slight you personally, but you have to remember, given her position as a sitting Justice, it's bad form to go around accepting gifts, given the nature of her job. Would you like to have your case adjudicated by someone who was known to collect every bauble thrown her way? How would you know if a gift was just a gift and not something else? I would think you would obtain a similar response if you tried to send NZ lottery tickets to a sitting justice in the NZ court system.

11. Jun 20, 2013 #10
    Obviously a declaration of a conflict of interest would be in order, thus a new Judge appointed to the case.

12. Jun 20, 2013 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're bribing the judge with kiwi tickets??

13. Jun 20, 2013 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually since since one interpretation of being offered gifts is...

...the response is appropriate. They can't take bribes (gifts, bribes...po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to) and they don't see anything 'unfortunate' about it.

I understand that you were just offering a nice harmless gesture - I'm a big fan of Sotomayor, too. But judges have to hold themselves above reproach and avoid even the *appearance* of impropriety.

14. Jun 20, 2013 #13

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl:

I recently bought three books by Ted L. Nancy. They're next on my list to read.

This is the first one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0380973545
    Be sure to "Click to LOOK INSIDE!"

Instant Kiwi tickets !? Hahaaha. :rofl: I bet even Justice Sotomayer got a kick out of that.

[Edit: I apologize for laughing if the original intent was not actually meant in humor. Either way, save that response letter. It's priceless. :smile:]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  15. Jun 20, 2013 #14
    Wow.

16. Jun 20, 2013 #15

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

They are lawyers. Saying "unfortunately..." opens the statement up to interpretation as to the Judge's intentions etc.., whereas saying "In addition the Justice is unable to accept..." is a statement of fact.

17. Jun 20, 2013 #16
    I'm in NZ and not facing any action that would make me preside in front of the Judges, so I can't be assumed to be bribing.

But nonetheless, I accept that although my gesture was well intended - and they, including Sonia probably realise that also - nonetheless she cannot accept my gifts due to her position.

18. Jun 20, 2013 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

No one ever offered me kiwi tickets. :frown:

19. Jun 20, 2013 #18

Borg

Gold Member

I noticed that they didn't specifically say that she didn't sign the book. Hopefully, you will still get the signature that you wanted. As far as the postage, it is paid in the country of origin. Did you send them New Zealand postage or the U.S. stamps that would be required to mail it from the U.S.?

20. Jun 20, 2013 #19
    Whats a kiwi scratch ticket? Guess I have some googling to do...

21. Jun 20, 2013 #20
    Swegner99: www.mylotto.co.nz > Instant Kiwi

Unfortunately NZ Post does not provide paid coupons for parcels sent back to NZ; only for standard letters that they can accurately know the cost from the country to NZ would be. Parcels sent from NZ cost by how much they weigh. NZ Post don't know the exact cost of a parcel sent back to NZ in order to give coupons for.

I gather I am getting a signed book, but I made clear in my initial email that I cannot provide a pre-paid envelope (as the book wouldn't fit in one), or postal coupons to pay for a parcel to be sent to me from the US. Clearly they didn't comprehend that in their reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook