Why can't she accept the Instant Kiwi tickets?

• Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
In summary, the author's gift was not accepted because the recipient was not a US Federal official and was not allowed to accept gifts.
StevieTNZ
Honestly, can't even accept the instant kiwi tickets? Could have written in a way that didn't make you sound unappreciated by my gesture to send you a gift in return for signing my book. I guess that's how some Americans think they can be - ungrateful. Why can't she accept them?

*annoyed*

I also made it clear in the initial email to the Supreme Court that NZ Post don't give parcel mail coupons for use overseas. Only an idiot would think the book would go in a standard envelope and not be processed as a parcel.

Attachments

• CCI20062013.jpg
    CCI20062013.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 621
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get your beef at all. Sounds to me like a perfectly courteous and quite reasonable response.

"In addition, said Justice is unable to accept ..." could have been written as 'Also unfortunately, ...' to be more polite, and a reason given why. The sentence in which it is contained I would also question.

They evidently also forgot that I can't send postal coupons, or a pre paid self addressed envelope for the book. It can't fit in what one typically calls an envelope. They're called parcel bags.

Lol why did you want Sotomayor's autograph anyways?

WannabeNewton said:
Lol why did you want Sotomayor's autograph anyways?

Might as well. She's a high authority figure in the USA legal system, so might as well if she accepts.

I've got the signatures of Anton Zeilinger and Tony Leggett, in my copies of their books. Also Barbara Walters in her memoir.

Can you get me an autograph from Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert xP

Sounds like they will work out a postal payment. Stevie, I can pay the postal costs from the US end for you. Just let me know.

Evo said:
Sounds like they will work out a postal payment. Stevie, I can pay the postal costs from the US end for you. Just let me know.

Thanks for the kind offer, but its all good. I am quite happy to pay for the return of the book - it was just a matter of how. I'm sure when I discuss the matter with the gift shop tomorrow they will be able to inform me on how to get the money to them, even if its via my Visa debit card.

What stuns me the most is her non-acceptance of the gifts that I went to the trouble getting as a thank you for signing my book. She needn't have scratched them, and merely had them on her wall. But to bluntly refuse them is beyond me - nor is any explanation given in the letter. Alas I will ask tomorrow when I call. I feel like my efforts went unappreciated.

Federal officials are in general forbidden from accepting gifts unless they do so on behalf of the United States. Many of the gifts given by foreign officials to such officers like the President, members of the Cabinet, etc. are turned over to institutions like the Smithsonian.

I don't think Justice Sotomayor intended to slight you personally, but you have to remember, given her position as a sitting Justice, it's bad form to go around accepting gifts, given the nature of her job. Would you like to have your case adjudicated by someone who was known to collect every bauble thrown her way? How would you know if a gift was just a gift and not something else? I would think you would obtain a similar response if you tried to send NZ lottery tickets to a sitting justice in the NZ court system.

Obviously a declaration of a conflict of interest would be in order, thus a new Judge appointed to the case.

You're bribing the judge with kiwi tickets??

StevieTNZ said:
"In addition, said Justice is unable to accept ..." could have been written as 'Also unfortunately, ...' to be more polite, and a reason given why. The sentence in which it is contained I would also question.

Actually since since one interpretation of being offered gifts is...

Monique said:
You're bribing the judge with kiwi tickets??

...the response is appropriate. They can't take bribes (gifts, bribes...po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to) and they don't see anything 'unfortunate' about it.

I understand that you were just offering a nice harmless gesture - I'm a big fan of Sotomayor, too. But judges have to hold themselves above reproach and avoid even the *appearance* of impropriety.

:rofl: :rofl:

I recently bought three books by Ted L. Nancy. They're next on my list to read.

This is the first one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0380973545
Be sure to "Click to LOOK INSIDE!"

Instant Kiwi tickets !? Hahaaha. :rofl: I bet even Justice Sotomayer got a kick out of that.

[Edit: I apologize for laughing if the original intent was not actually meant in humor. Either way, save that response letter. It's priceless. :smile:]

Last edited:
StevieTNZ said:
Honestly, can't even accept the instant kiwi tickets? Could have written in a way that didn't make you sound unappreciated by my gesture to send you a gift in return for signing my book. I guess that's how some Americans think they can be - ungrateful. Why can't she accept them?

Wow.

StevieTNZ said:
"In addition, said Justice is unable to accept ..." could have been written as 'Also unfortunately, ...' to be more polite, and a reason given why.

They are lawyers. Saying "unfortunately..." opens the statement up to interpretation as to the Judge's intentions etc.., whereas saying "In addition the Justice is unable to accept..." is a statement of fact.

I'm in NZ and not facing any action that would make me preside in front of the Judges, so I can't be assumed to be bribing.

But nonetheless, I accept that although my gesture was well intended - and they, including Sonia probably realize that also - nonetheless she cannot accept my gifts due to her position.

No one ever offered me kiwi tickets. :frown:

I noticed that they didn't specifically say that she didn't sign the book. Hopefully, you will still get the signature that you wanted. As far as the postage, it is paid in the country of origin. Did you send them New Zealand postage or the U.S. stamps that would be required to mail it from the U.S.?

Whats a kiwi scratch ticket? Guess I have some googling to do...

Swegner99: www.mylotto.co.nz > Instant Kiwi

Unfortunately NZ Post does not provide paid coupons for parcels sent back to NZ; only for standard letters that they can accurately know the cost from the country to NZ would be. Parcels sent from NZ cost by how much they weigh. NZ Post don't know the exact cost of a parcel sent back to NZ in order to give coupons for.

I gather I am getting a signed book, but I made clear in my initial email that I cannot provide a pre-paid envelope (as the book wouldn't fit in one), or postal coupons to pay for a parcel to be sent to me from the US. Clearly they didn't comprehend that in their reply.

Maybe somehow or another you can get a prepaid box from United States Postal Service (USPS) using a credit card, and have that sent to Sonia's office?

I'm not sure how the details would work.

Or maybe contact your local DHL, UPS or similar courier, and have them guide you to getting a prepaid box to sent out.

lisab said:
They can't take bribes (gifts, bribes...po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to) and they don't see anything 'unfortunate' about it.

Which is why Dan Quayle's spelling of potatoe isn't so stupid after all.

Let me try to understand what happened. You mailed a book to a person in the US from NZ with some NZ lottery tickets. Then you expect them to feel happy for receiving the (worthless in the US) lottery and frame the lottery tickets on their wall without scratching. And Pay for the return of their book with their signature? And you feel bad inspite of their polite reply? I hope somebody points out my lack of reading comprehension in this case.

StevieTNZ said:
I'm in NZ and not facing any action that would make me preside in front of the Judges, so I can't be assumed to be bribing.

But nonetheless, I accept that although my gesture was well intended - and they, including Sonia probably realize that also - nonetheless she cannot accept my gifts due to her position.

If you're in court, either as a complainant or defendant, you don't preside, the judge or judges do. Preside means to be in charge of.

Received the book today, signed with a small comment (probably in reference to the instant kiwi's).

Attachments

• Sonia Sotomayor.jpg
    Sonia Sotomayor.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 439
StevieTNZ said:
Received the book today, signed with a small comment (probably in reference to the instant kiwi's).

Wow, awesome that you got the book back, but I can't make out her handwriting! What does she say there?

StevieTNZ said:

Good job StevieTNZ,

something she can accept are some kind & thoughtful words about her book, "donations in honor of" are another one. lol lottery tickets to a judge.

I've being at a court case where the lawyer makes his case, judge agrees with proposed "charges", crown doesn't make a peep. Case closed, then the defending lawyer proceeded to ask the judge about some weekend dinner party they were to attend. lol, but no bribes so we know it's all kosher! Now this is a "high profile" criminal lawyer handling a low profile case. but still criminal lawyer & judge are friends-ies? perhaps partially why he is so good at lawyering(well networked).

lisab said:
Wow, awesome that you got the book back, but I can't make out her handwriting! What does she say there?

She writes:
Stevie
With gratitude for you being so thoughtful

If she had been able to accept the Instant Kiwi tickets, it would merely not be for the purposes of cashing them in; rather as something to place on the wall as a gift that is from New Zealand. Even if she win, she doesn't need to worry about cashing it in.

Nonetheless, when they were returned with the book, both of them weren't winners. Haha.

1. Why is she refusing to accept the Instant Kiwi tickets?

There could be a variety of reasons why she is refusing to accept the tickets. She may not be interested in playing the lottery, she may have ethical or moral objections to gambling, or she may have a personal preference for not participating in activities like this.

2. Is there something wrong with the tickets?

No, there is nothing wrong with the tickets. They are legitimate and can be redeemed for prizes if the numbers match.

3. Can't she just take the tickets and give them away or sell them?

Technically, she could do that. However, if she has strong objections to gambling, she may not want to be involved in any way, even indirectly. It is important to respect her decision and not pressure her to do something she is not comfortable with.

4. What is Instant Kiwi and how does it work?

Instant Kiwi is a type of scratch-off lottery game offered by the New Zealand Lotteries Commission. Players purchase tickets and scratch off a coating to reveal a set of numbers. If the numbers match the winning numbers, the player can redeem the ticket for a prize.

5. Is it common for people to reject Instant Kiwi tickets?

It is not uncommon for some people to reject lottery tickets for various reasons. While many people enjoy playing the lottery, others may have personal, ethical, or religious objections to gambling. It is important to respect individual beliefs and choices when it comes to participating in activities like this.