Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm sick : (

1. Jul 15, 2010 #1
    I've been home for two days and I got hit with the worst cold ever. I can't even think strait let alone get any work done I'm so sick. This is crap. I haven't been sick in more than 5 years and now I feel like I'm dying. Does Dayquil still take 3 years off your life if you take it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2010 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry to hear that, Topher. Tsu just got sick as well.

I consider Nyquil to be a miracle drug.

4. Jul 15, 2010 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) doesn't work for everyone but for me it's amazing. Clears my head, doesn't make me sleepy.

Sorry you feel so bad, and I hope you feel better soon!

5. Jul 15, 2010 #4
    Sorry to hear that you got it. That cold virus has really hit MI hard, several people from work have it. Of course they are the people who wouldn't dream of taking a sick day, or two off. I'm washing my hands like a crazy lady.

Hope you feel better soon, lousy time of year to have a cold.

6. Jul 15, 2010 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

<pours hot chicken soup into Topher's computer>

Take some mega cold medicine to relieve the symptoms. Hope you feel better soon.

7. Jul 15, 2010 #6

drizzle

Gold Member

YOU WILL DIE!

Okay okay that was a joke. Get well soon :smile:

8. Jul 15, 2010 #7

Astronuc

<Adds habanero hot sauce.>

If I get a cold, I'll drink chicken soup with plenty of hot sauce.

Ginger beer and green tea are good. Drink plenty of fluids and perhaps takes some vitamins.

Get well soon Topher.

9. Jul 15, 2010 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Ditto on the habanero sauce. When I have head congestion, I'll fry up a couple of hot dogs and load the rolls with habanero relish and hot mustard. Scalp sweat and running nose are guaranteed.

Maybe some nice hot chili or curried chicken on rice.

10. Jul 15, 2010 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah heck, just get some beer and pizza and put NyQuil on it.

11. Jul 15, 2010 #10

Danger

Gold Member

In my experience, a cold will last approximately a week no matter what you do. Any "remedies" simply alleviate the symptoms. The most effective ones are illegal for a medical professional to recommend, and stupid to take. One of those is hot rum and NeoCitran. My previous boss at the bar used that one. It didn't do a damned thing to cure the cold, but she didn't regain consciousness until it had died out on its own. Hot chicken soup is great, although I suspect that any hot soup would equal it, for two reasons: it provides nourishment to someone who might not be inclined to eat solid food, and it helps to clear the sinuses as any hot liquid will do.
    Until I became permanently unemployed a year and a half ago, I missed 3 days due to illness in over 35 years of working.
    The thing that I consider my favourite cold-weather food would probably work as a cold alleviation. In a large bowl, mix one can of Campbell's Chunky split-pea and ham soup, one can of Maple Leaf, Puritan, etc. ham, and a couple of tablespoons of cayenne powder. Mix well, nuke it for a minute or so, an eat it with whatever beverage you prefer.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  12. Jul 15, 2010 #11
    Awe, I hope you feel better soon. There must be something going around. I know a few people that have a really bad cold right now. Meds don't seem to be doing anything either. Hope you can fight it off soon though :)

13. Jul 16, 2010 #12
    Thanks for all the replies. I finally got my fever down but I still feel like crap. I'm a little worried since I just got back from a trip overseas and am 99% sure I got this from another country. A country that has been known for disease related pandemics. :eek:

14. Jul 16, 2010 #13

Evo

<quarantines topher>

Sprays lysol on thread and all of GD.

If you aren't better in a few days, or if symptoms worsen, please get to a doctor.

15. Jul 16, 2010 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*cough, sputter* :yuck:

Does Lysol even work on Ebola?!?

16. Jul 16, 2010 #15
    Wow, I wondered where that smell came from:yuck:

17. Jul 17, 2010 #16
    When I'm sick, I drink tea and eat honey like crazy.

18. Jul 17, 2010 #17
    I realize this isn't a serious question... but yes it does. For this case however I recommend standard protocol, which is fumigation with a phenolic disinfectant... alas, Topher will be entombed within. ;)

19. Jul 17, 2010 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:approve: That's the sort of thing that makes PF great.

20. Jul 17, 2010 #19
    I couldn't help it, I love this kind of trivia! You should see what they did to the lab in Reston VA after that incident: pans of phenolic crystals were just placed on hotplates and allowed to vaporize. The building was sealed, and the fumes allowed to settle. Even then the place was abandoned...

I really am sorry Topher, all kidding aside; I find Dayquil is a good solution, as I don't enjoy being knocked out by Nyquil. Just push fluids and yaddayaddawhatyou'veheardamilliontimesbefore.

*LisaB: it is a pretty nifty corner of the net isn't it? :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook