Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm sick

1. Feb 7, 2005 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's been at least five years since I've had a full blown cold/flu. I AM SICK!!!!! :frown: My sinuses are infected and breathing through my nose is like inhaling fire. My head is about to explode. :cry:

Yes, this is a pathetic thread the only goal of which is to obtain sympathy. :redface:

Should I drink lots of vodka? Will that dehydrate me? What if I drink a lot of Fresca with it?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Even better than vodka, get Nyquil! Tsu might still have some, though she'll probably give you that icky green stuff instead of the cherry flavored one. Y'know, she probably gave the bug to you, running around here sick the way she did. :grumpy:

*shoves chicken broth with pastina into Evo's computer*

Here you go. The broth is home made. Feel better.

4. Feb 7, 2005 #3

Evo

Yeah Tsu made me sick!!!! :grumpy:

Mmmm, breathing the steam makes my sinuses feel better. :approve:

Perhaps a green apple nyquil martini?

5. Feb 7, 2005 #4

Astronuc

Sorry to hear you are ill.

Please take care of yourself - plenty of fluids and fruit juices - orange and cranberry are good.

Also aspirin or ibuprofen for control of fever.

I hope you recover soon.

6. Feb 7, 2005 #5

Evo

Astronuc, you are forever the sweetest, most incredible man! I like the new avatar. :approve:

7. Feb 7, 2005 #6

Astronuc

Please just rest and get well!

8. Feb 7, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*tucks Evo into bed* Astronuc, we'll just see if she still says that when the Nyquil has worn off. She's gone through quite a few men this week. :biggrin:

9. Feb 7, 2005 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hope you're feeling better. Vick's Salve (the mentholated stuff) always helps me.

10. Feb 7, 2005 #9
    Have you tried leeches? [​IMG][​IMG]

11. Feb 7, 2005 #10

Evo

Yep, I have. Seems they don't like all the vodka though. :mad: Wimpy leeches.

12. Feb 7, 2005 #11
    Here we go again ! :grumpy: :confused: :cry: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

13. Feb 7, 2005 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

NO VODKA!!! It only dehydrates you!! I'm sorry if YOU THINK I gave you my cold, but yours has been with you longer than mine has been with me. I THINK YOU GAVE ME YOUR COLD!!!! :grumpy: (Haven't you had this cold for 3-4 weeks? I thought you were sick over Christmas or something, too...)

Listen to Astronuc. His advice is excellent!! I'd let you have my Nyquil but Ivan is now using it as a recreational pharmaceutical!! :rofl: (Just kidding!!! :biggrin:) It's VILE stuff!! You don't want any!!! :yuck:

I hope you feel better soon, Sis!!! :!!) :!!) I love you!!!! :smile:

14. Feb 7, 2005 #13
    have you tried leeches?

15. Feb 7, 2005 #14
    damn. beat me to it.

16. Feb 7, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Poor Evo... :frown:

I hope you feel better soon.

17. Feb 7, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For stuffy noses, nothing is better than a long, hot, steamy shower!

18. Feb 8, 2005 #17
    Poor Evo! Try dosing yourself with lots of vitamin c. Take lots of liquids and wrap yourself tight in bed with extra blankets to stay warm. It takes two weeks to get rid of a cold and 14 days to get rid of the flu!:rofl:

GET WELL SOON EVO!:biggrin:

19. Feb 8, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't waste your efforts on Vit C for colds. I recently tracked down references for double-blind, controlld studies (I guess it's posted somewhere in biology) that says it doesn't help. But plenty of liquid, keeping warm and getting bed rest are still good advice.

See, Evo, even after you so mercilessly rejected polyb, he's still here by your bedside watching out for you while sick. You're giving up a good thing here. :approve:

20. Feb 8, 2005 #19
    Oh I am so sooooorrrry you have the flu...owwweeeeee...no vodka...only fresca...and water and green drinks and more water and vegetable broth or juices with water and or chicken soup and I have never heard of anyone drinking vodka with the flu...warm or cool baths and perhaps a coffee drinking enema...gotcha!

Yes these clear out the bile...and energize you...lots of Emergen-C drinks...do you ever do these they come in packets of powder 1000mg of V-C B vitamin shots...and Epson baths with more water maybe sips of vodka later with lemon and shaved ice...only sips.

A little cranberry juice with soda…and cold or warm compresses alternating possibly and fresh air and comforts piled high.

Plus...drink Echinacea tea and zinc and other teas that build your immune system such as pau de arco tea.

It may take days...you may have fever...did you not get a shot...I am so worried about you did you party too hard for the super bowl?

21. Feb 8, 2005 #20

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Get someone to buy you a nice large, fresh root of ginger. Grate it and let it sit in some freshly boiled water for 10 minutes, then drink lots of it!! It will help clear your sinuses, airways and will help get rid of the bacteria fast :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?