Dealing with a Sinus Infection: My Quest for Relief

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, Astronuc is telling Evo that she is being a jerk and that she should listen to him. Evo is not listening to Astronuc and is angry with him.
whitay said:
I'm not trying to contradict you or say you're wrong. I'm just saying that it can be bad for you.
One has to remove the carbonation from the Coke, and I think it has to be Classic. It is the phosphorylated carbohydrates that sooth the stomach lining.

After vomiting, the stomach shrinks into a tight little knot. Not allowing it to relax, filling it too fast too soon, will only make the vomiting continue. For the young infant and child, Infalyte or other electrolyte solutions should be used. For the school age child, Coke, ginger ale, or Gatorade are useful fluids to control vomiting. Flat Coca-Cola (not RC, not Pepsi, not diet Coke) is especially effective because it contains some phosphorylated carbohydrates which are directly soothing to the stomach lining.
http://www.childrensmedgroup.com/parents/handouts_vomiting.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I've never gotten a flu shot before, but after getting so sick last year, and the fact they will come into my office and it's free, I figured, why not.

I think after the Evo child's bout with pneumonia & pleurisy earlier this year makes her a good candidate for one.
Please do so. I think anyone working in a large office should get a flu shot.

My sister, who is a pediatrician, mentioned that there is some long term benefit from flu shots, having to do with the cardio-pulmonary system. I need to find the study, but it's some long term benefit accumulated with subsequent flu shots.

Edit: I am sorry that you're sick again. I thought that was the cases when this thread popped up again.
I hadn't read back far enough. I read Whitay's comment and your comment on the flu shot.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I am glad your not sick again, which is what I thought when this thread popped up again.
I'm sick! :cry:

I'm dying. Sore throat, lungs are filled, in pain. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I want sympathy, dammit!

I don't even know where this came from. :frown:

I'm sorry to hear that you are ill.

Warm echinacea tea would be good, along with what I recommended on page 1.

Also try chicken soup.

I hope you get well quickly.

Evo said:

I want sympathy, dammit!

Evo dear, I think I'm psychic. Today, I made a huge pot of my own special recipe chicken soup. I had no reason why I wanted to. I woke up this morning, and the first thing that came to mind was "I should make chicken soup today". So I spent the whole day making my own chicken stock, and then added all the ingredients later in the afternoon so that we had chicken soup for dinner.

You need to move to Chicago. I would have driven over and bring you some if you're here.

Zz.

pours Nyquil into Evo's computer

ZapperZ said:
Evo dear, I think I'm psychic. Today, I made a huge pot of my own special recipe chicken soup. I had no reason why I wanted to. I woke up this morning, and the first thing that came to mind was "I should make chicken soup today". So I spent the whole day making my own chicken stock, and then added all the ingredients later in the afternoon so that we had chicken soup for dinner.

You need to move to Chicago. I would have driven over and bring you some if you're here.

Zz.
We always have been physcically connected. :smile: That soup sounds wonderful! Pour some into my computer, please?

whitay said:
I was prescribed anti-inflamatories once, which inflamed my stomach (you have to constantly eat bread etc to keep the pain away from you stomach). I can't remember specifically what was wrong but it had a lot todo with the drugs being to powerful and something with my stomach lining (my mother can tell you specifics, i you want). The doctor at the emergency room (cause i was that bad and mother's persistence) said not to drink coke (other similar soft drinks), curry&spicy foods and anything too hot for a number of weeks. As well the doctor took my off the anti-inflamatories, told me to stay away from anti-inflamatories for as long as possible.

I did however after that try drinking coke, and it brought momentary pain back. Even to this day, over a year later, drinking coke sometimes makes an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach. However I always did and still do have a high tolerance of curries and spicy foods (how I love jalopenoes).

I'm not trying to contradict you or say you're wrong. I'm just saying that it can be bad for you.

That's probably because of the carbonation that makes the Coke very acidic, and probably harsh on a stomach that isn't properly able to keep the stomach acids from damaging the lining.

Dimitri Terryn said:
Please take care of yourself. Are your daughters at home to take care of you, or are you all alone?

If you're that sick, the flu shot will have to wait. My grandfather got one when he had a bronchitis that hadn't fully healed. It triggered a series of bacterial infections of which he never recovered... :frown:

I'm sympthatising with you at least. I've had my first bronchitis in years. I refuse to take medication though, I've always tried and let my body take care of it itself. Seems to be working.

Anyway, wrap up well, keep warm and keep it relaxed as far as you can (hugs).
I'm all alone, but the Evo Child brought me some Chinese food and told me to call her no matter what time if I feel worse. Of course we both know she could sleep through a nuclear holocaust. :rolleyes:

I hope you are better soon! And thank you for being so sweet. :smile:

Yeah, I can't get the shot if I am sick. I really didn't want to ge the flu again this year. :frown:

Poor you Evo, i should send some my anti bug aura, i never get sick medically, i hope you feel better soon.

wolram said:
Poor you Evo, i should send some my anti bug aura, i never get sick medically, i hope you feel better soon.
Thanks, but I'm pretty sure I'm dying. At least I feel like it. :frown:

wolram said:
But is the trade-off that all her joints will swell up and turn purple? :uhh:

Are you still sick today, Evo? *pours Nyquil and Near Beer into Evo's computer* That's supposed to be better than chicken soup. :approve: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Are you still sick today, Evo? *pours Nyquil and Near Beer into Evo's computer* That's supposed to be better than chicken soup. :approve: :rofl:
Haaack. cough, cough :yuck:

Thanks MIH for the Nyquil and Moonbear, yes, I was missing the Near Beer. I'm going to have to go to the doctor tomorrow and get an antibiotic, it's definitely a bacterial infection.

Moonbear said:
Haaack. cough, cough :yuck:

Thanks MIH for the Nyquil and Moonbear, yes, I was missing the Near Beer. I'm going to have to go to the doctor tomorrow and get an antibiotic, it's definitely a bacterial infection.

Evo said:
Thanks, but I'm pretty sure I'm dying. At least I feel like it. :frown:

Well that is not allowed young lady, i am sure you will feel much better tomorrow, actually i bet you feel good every day :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
But is the trade-off that all her joints will swell up and turn purple? :uhh:

Not MY chicken soup! It can cure a cold from 20 miles away! It has turnips, parsnips, celery root, carrots, cauliflower, and turnip tops. A combination like that will cure anything!

:)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Not MY chicken soup! It can cure a cold from 20 miles away! It has turnips, parsnips, celery root, carrots, cauliflower, and turnip tops. A combination like that will cure anything!

Zz.
Mmmm...sounds yummy. I think I feel a sniffle coming on. :biggrin:

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
Wait! I'll send you some of my habenero peppers. You can feel that fire surging through your skin! :tongue2: I gave some to my neighbor, and he said they were about the hottest thing he'd ever tried. :biggrin: :cool: I have saved seeds for next season. :tongue2:

Last edited:
I had made salsa this summer (inspired by you and turbo in the Food Thread) that ended up pretty wimpy, so I got a bunch of habanero peppers and roasted them and added them to it! I like spicy food, but that was above and beyond what I could tolerate. A few bites and I thought I was on fire. I ended up having to cheat and add tomato paste to it to cut the heat to tolerable levels, which defeated the purpose of fresh salsa. :rolleyes: I had a bit of the "stock" batch left though, and just made guacamole with it (it's my cheater version of guacamole where I just add salsa to avocado and mash it all together)...now that was tasty guacamole! I regretted it a bit the next day, but that was just the way to deal with the heat.

Anyway, yeah, habaneros will definitely clear up any sinus troubles!

And...*cough*...I repeat in case Zz didn't hear the first time...I think I feel a sniffle coming on. :biggrin:

Evo said:

I want sympathy, dammit!

Sympathy

Feel better soon.
Look on the bright side.
You're not on vacation 2000mi from home.

Moonbear said:
I had made salsa this summer (inspired by you and turbo in the Food Thread) that ended up pretty wimpy, so I got a bunch of habanero peppers and roasted them and added them to it! I like spicy food, but that was above and beyond what I could tolerate. A few bites and I thought I was on fire. I ended up having to cheat and add tomato paste to it to cut the heat to tolerable levels, which defeated the purpose of fresh salsa. :rolleyes: I had a bit of the "stock" batch left though, and just made guacamole with it (it's my cheater version of guacamole where I just add salsa to avocado and mash it all together)...now that was tasty guacamole! I regretted it a bit the next day, but that was just the way to deal with the heat.

Anyway, yeah, habaneros will definitely clear up any sinus troubles!

And...*cough*...I repeat in case Zz didn't hear the first time...I think I feel a sniffle coming on. :biggrin:

You're welcome to come over anytime for the chicken soup, Moonbie. You know that! [I wonder if anyone has ever done a chicken soup party?]

As for the habanero, it and scotch bonnet peppers are two of the hottest peppers in the world - the other one that would be in the same category is the small Thai chilli peppers (chilli padi). So you certainly don't want to use even half as much as you think you need. When you make jerk chicken, you don't want to break the peppers at all during the marinating process or else the whole dish would kill a small child.

Zz.

I like to chop or mince one of my habenero peppers and put it in soup. :rofl:

I actually ate one of my Hot Portugal peppers - it felt like someone had kicked me in the stomach - then the fire erupted. :biggrin: Seriously, I didn't think it was going to be that hot.

A chicken soup party sounds kinda fun actually, mostly because it's different. Good for a cold winter day! Or just a soup party...have everyone bring their favorite homemade soups, and put out a lot of small bowls so they can taste a little of each, and supply good, fresh bread to go with it. A nice luncheon type idea. If you wanted to get really fancy, you could even serve little finger sandwiches with it (soup and a sandwich).

I know a couple people who often skip dinner invitations because they're picky eaters (pretty much just eat really plain foods...they're the native West Virginians who pretty much just go for meat and potatoes type meals), but I bet a luncheon featuring soup and bread would be to their liking. Also good for the few tee-totalers who aren't into the cocktail party type idea.

I may have to do that this winter! :approve: Maybe in January when everyone is in the post-holiday, New Year's resolution diet mode, so won't want to go to any dinner parties and overeat. Soup would be perfect.

Back