I'm so confused about matrices

In summary, the person is having a lot of difficulty understanding linear algebra concepts and is seeking help.
nietzsche
I had a quiz last Thursday about matrices, and I thought I knew what I was doing, but when I got there, nothing made sense to me. I'm pretty frustrated because I'm having a lot of trouble grasping any of the concepts I'm learning in linear algebra, while I'm doing fine in my "regular" math courses. Linear algebra just seems so abstract and...wrong...

Homework Statement

Write A as a product of elementary matrices. (Hint: First, write the inverse as a product of elementary matrices.)

[tex]
A =
\left[
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 2 \\
3 & 4
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't understand why any of this works. I know how to find the inverse using Gauss-Jordan elimination. I wrote the partitioned matrix with A on the left and the 2x2 identity on the right. Then I performed the following row operations:

R2 - 3R1
R1 + R2
(-1/2)R2

and I got the following partitioned matrix:

[tex]
\left[
\begin{array}{cc|cc}
1 & 0 & -2 & 1 \\
0 & 1 & \frac{3}{2} & -\frac{1}{2}
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]

I simply don't understand the concept of how a matrix can be a product of elementary matrices. I don't see how a matrix can correspond to an elementary row operation. Please help me understand! I'm seriously beginning to go a bit loopy. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe http://www.math.unm.edu/~loring/links/linear_s08/elementary.pdf" will help. It goes through the process with a 3x3 matrix. You basically find your inverse matrix, keep track of the row operations, and then you translate the reverse of these row operations into elementary matrices, which gives you your product of elementary matrices.

Note that you can only do this if the matrix is invertible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes venomnert
An "elementary matrix" is a matrix derived from the identity matrix by a single rwo operation. The crucial point is that multiplying any matrix, on the left, by an elementary matrix does that row operation to the matrix.

For example, if I "add two times the first row to the third" with the identity matrix I get
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 2 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

If I multiply any matrix by that
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 2 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} a & b & c \\ d & e & f \\ g & h & i\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \\ 2a+ g & 2b+ h & 2c+ i\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Now, suppose that, starting with matrix A, you do row operations x, y, and z (first x, then y, then z) to reduce it to the identity matrix. Writing X, Y, and Z as the corresponding elementary matrix, that says that Z(Y(XA))= I. But matrix multiplication is "associative". That is the same as (ZYX)(A)= I which says precisely that ZYX is the inverse matrix to A. Of course, ZYX is the same as ZYXI which is the same as performing row operations x, y, and z on I.

wonderful, thanks very much to both of you

1. What are matrices?

Matrices are rectangular arrays of numbers or expressions that are arranged in rows and columns. They are used in various fields of mathematics, such as linear algebra, calculus, and statistics.

2. How do I add or subtract matrices?

In order to add or subtract matrices, they must have the same dimensions. This means that they must have the same number of rows and columns. To add or subtract, simply add or subtract the corresponding elements of the matrices.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a matrix?

A scalar is a single number, while a matrix is an array of numbers. Scalars can be thought of as 1x1 matrices, and can be multiplied by a matrix to scale it.

4. How do I multiply matrices?

In order to multiply matrices, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix. The resulting matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix. To find the elements of the resulting matrix, you multiply the corresponding elements of each row in the first matrix by the corresponding elements of each column in the second matrix, and then add the products together.

5. Can I divide matrices?

No, you cannot divide matrices. However, you can multiply by the inverse of a matrix to achieve a similar result. The inverse of a matrix is like the reciprocal of a number, and when multiplied by the original matrix, it results in the identity matrix.