Lonely No More: Finding Companionship

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
In summary: I don't see the problem. I've been frequenting the same coffee shops for years and I don't see that it's about surprising anyone. Plus, the employees and regulars change over time.I prepared a witty response for you, but somehow it got deleted, sorry. IDK Turbo, I'm an only child, by dad is an arse, didn't come to my little league baseball games, didn't come to my high school or college graduation, just like Austin Powers. Sorry for whining, but this has been coming down for a while now.In summary, this person is lonely, feels like they're an only child, their dad is an arse, and they don't have
DiracPool
I'm so lonely, I don't want to be lonely anymore!:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't be lonely. Get out and make some friends. You probably have some skills and charms that can get you hooked up with buddies. Can you deal with people from other backgrounds? Are you within striking distance of a university that sponsors clubs and associations of people with similar interests?

turbo said:
Don't be lonely. Get out and make some friends. You probably have some skills and charms that can get you hooked up with buddies. Can you deal with people from other backgrounds? Are you within striking distance of a university that sponsors clubs and associations of people with similar interests?

IDK Turbo, I'm an only child, by dad is an arse, didn't come to my little league baseball games, didn't come to my high school or college graduation, just like Austin Powers. Sorry for whining, but this has been coming down for a while now.

You have us DP.

Evo said:
You have us DP.

Thanks Evo.

Play a team sport.

Likes fireflies
reenmachine said:
Play a team sport.

thanks, I think my problem is that I'm too arrogant, I play basketball at my local ymca, and I'm mediocre. It pisses me off cause I want to be Patrick Neill

Hang out in coffee houses. If you frequent a given coffee house long enough all the employees and regulars start to remember you and eventually they'll start chatting longer and longer. It snowballs, and you can make some good friends. There are actually lots of people who go to coffee houses because they're lonely, looking for some kind of social interaction.

I live in Seattle, Zooby, I've burned out every coffee house within 10 light seconds, I'm hopeless

DiracPool said:
I live in Seattle, Zooby, I've burned out every coffee house within 10 light seconds, I'm hopeless

What do you mean "burned out"?

zoobyshoe said:
What do you mean "burned out"?

I mean that when I stopped drinking, I haunted the local coffee shops, they all know me and I'm pretty much cliché by now

DiracPool said:
I mean that when I stopped drinking, I haunted the local coffee shops, they all know me and I'm pretty much cliché by now
I don't see the problem. I've been frequenting the same coffee shops for years and I don't see that it's about surprising anyone. Plus, the employees and regulars change over time.

Likes fireflies
I prepared a witty response for you, but somehow it got deleted, sorry

DiracPool said:
IDK Turbo, I'm an only child, by dad is an arse, didn't come to my little league baseball games, didn't come to my high school or college graduation, just like Austin Powers. Sorry for whining, but this has been coming down for a while now.

I don't mean to be rude, but this seems rather pathetic. I think only once in my life one of my parents came to watch me play sport, and I never cared either way. Missing your graduation is more serious, but you can't blame your loneliness on that. And if you've already graduated from college you're not a child any more...or what?

Anyway, everyone likes to whine every now and then, that I have no problem with :)

qspeechc said:
I don't mean to be rude, but this seems rather pathetic. I think only once in my life one of my parents came to watch me play sport, and I never cared either way. Missing your graduation is more serious, but you can't blame your loneliness on that. And if you've already graduated from college you're not a child any more...or what?

Anyway, everyone likes to whine every now and then, that I have no problem with :)

Thanks qspeechc, so you see where I'm coming from. I'm giving myself the right to whine cause I quit smoking 2 months ago because Evo said it was a filthy habit. I hope she's proud of me:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I take you like that one MP? That's one of my favs too, I'm a child of the 80's

Edit: Unfortunatley, you chose a banned version. What's up there?

I thought about "lonely" stuff, but held back. Now, MathematicalPhysicist has opened the floodgates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PotB76gi2_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjq4wYuwgxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKWh_iOTjnc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vVJYnG8cBw

I'm just going to sit back and admire the thumbnail for The Motels.

I can't believe no one linked this yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoBbu-mov_s

You know maybe life's just about quit whining, face the horrific day ahead of you and just deal with it

OK, Clapton or Jagger back in 69 Hyde Park? I'd want to be Clapton

One Is The Loneliest Number - Three Dog Night

If you are lucky, the ad about SASKATCHEWAN will show up.

256bits said:

One Is The Loneliest Number - Three Dog Night

If you are lucky, the ad about SASKATCHEWAN will show up.

Yeah, 2 can be as bad as one, though

Now no one's knocked upon my door, for a 1000 YEARS or more. All made up and no where to go, welcome to this one man show. Just take a seat they're ALWAYS free, no surprise, no mystery, in the desert that they call my soul, I always play the staring role, soooooo lonely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXCVIXXNghw

There are low points in life, and high points. All in all it's a great gig :biggrin:. Carry on, DP!

DiracPool said:
Thanks qspeechc, so you see where I'm coming from. I'm giving myself the right to whine cause I quit smoking 2 months ago because Evo said it was a filthy habit. I hope she's proud of me:wink:

Ah, well, that explains it all. Giving up a bad habit is so very difficult. You have my permission to whine on to your heart's content. As you were.

I'm very proud of you Dirac. :approve:

I haven't spoken with anyone outside of my immediate family or school in about 8 months. And I finished lectures 3 months ago.

Needless to say my last job interview didn't go too well. My vocal chords have spider webs.

Likes fireflies
You can start a website called "getting to know new people", I joined one recently for the fun of it. The idea is that one can start an activity and other people can sign up to join, that way one can do all kinds of fun stuff like going to a food market, going out canoeing, or visit a museum. One can make up an own activity, or just join another.

It's really popular, once one gets to the 30's people start families are are not available to go out. Or one has to make an appointment with friends two months in advance, because they're always busy. All members are called "new people", it's actually really fun going out with random people! Maybe you can join something in your area :smile:

And way to go DiracPool on quitting smoking! Smoking is a filthy habit.

Monique said:
And way to go DiracPool on quitting smoking!

:tongue:

Congratulations on quitting smoking. That's an amazing and wonderful thing you did.

I'll give you a big kiss

Stick around here, and you will get over it.

What is "Lonely No More: Finding Companionship"?

"Lonely No More: Finding Companionship" is a book that focuses on helping individuals overcome feelings of loneliness and find meaningful companionship in their lives. It offers practical tips and strategies for building connections with others and creating a fulfilling social life.

Why is loneliness a common issue?

Loneliness is a common issue because humans are social beings and we have a natural desire to connect with others. However, with the rise of technology and busy lifestyles, it has become increasingly difficult for people to form and maintain strong relationships, leading to feelings of isolation and loneliness.

Who can benefit from reading this book?

This book can benefit anyone who is struggling with feelings of loneliness and is looking for ways to improve their social life. It is also helpful for individuals who may be introverted or have difficulty forming connections with others.

What are some strategies for finding companionship?

Some strategies for finding companionship include joining social groups or clubs, volunteering, attending events or classes, and reaching out to friends and family. It is also important to work on building self-confidence and being open to new experiences and connections.

Can loneliness have negative effects on health?

Yes, loneliness can have negative effects on both mental and physical health. It has been linked to increased risk of depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues. It can also lead to higher levels of stress and inflammation in the body, which can contribute to chronic health conditions.