Native Speaker Struggle: The Past Tense of Meet

• Thread starter rachmaninoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of remembering the past tense of the verb "to meet" and the suggestion to claim being drunk as an excuse. The conversation also includes a joke about being drunk and a request for a written proof.
rachmaninoff
For the life of me I can't remember the past tense of "to meet", as in "to meet with". And you know, this IS my native language. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
met, mayhap?

It would be better to claim you're drunk. If you were so drunk right now, you could look forward to being sober tomorrow. :rofl:

arildno said:
met, mayhap?

That's right!

BobG said:
It would be better to claim you're drunk. If you were so drunk right now, you could look forward to being sober tomorrow. :rofl:

You're drunk you say?

I was about to laugh at you, but it took me a second to think of what it was too :frown:

Write down a consolation proof, both of you.

How the...? Never mind.

1. What are the common challenges for native speakers when using the past tense of "meet"?

The most common challenge for native speakers when using the past tense of "meet" is knowing whether to use "met" or "meet". This is because "meet" can be both the present and past tense form of the verb depending on the context.

2. How do I determine whether to use "met" or "meet" in a sentence?

To determine whether to use "met" or "meet" in a sentence, you need to identify the tense of the sentence. If the sentence is in the past tense, then you should use "met". If the sentence is in the present tense, then you should use "meet".

3. Can "meet" be used as both a regular and irregular verb in the past tense?

Yes, "meet" can be used as both a regular and irregular verb in the past tense. When used as a regular verb, the past tense form is "met". When used as an irregular verb, the past tense form is also "met".

4. Are there any other forms of the past tense of "meet" besides "met" and "meet"?

No, there are no other forms of the past tense of "meet". The only other forms that exist are the present tense form "meet" and the past participle form "met".

5. How can I practice using the past tense of "meet" correctly?

You can practice using the past tense of "meet" correctly by reading and writing sentences using the verb in different tenses. It may also be helpful to ask a native speaker or a language teacher for guidance and feedback. Additionally, you can use online resources or grammar books to learn the rules and exceptions for using the past tense of "meet".