I'm so tired of my school

  • Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date

JamesU

Gold Member
732
3
I'm so tired of my school...


My math teacher insists that infifnity is not a number, that it's only an idea. I got an A on a math test and missed one problem. he gave us a chence to redo the questions that night. Some kid took my test paper to him (without my knowledge. I guess this kid thought that I did my corrections) so the teacher asked: "what's this?! where are the corrections?!" he goes into a little fit and says "well, it there are no corrections, I don't want it then!" and throws the paper on the floor.

In science, I have to listen to the teacher talk about basic physics, while everyone else is learning what [tex] \Delta [/tex] means... :rolleyes: :groan: and In computers, I have to type crap on MS word for about an hour until the class is over. (that's ALL we do) I'm tired of school...
 
113
1
Infinity is not a number..
 

Pengwuino

Gold Member
4,854
14
Yah it's not a number...
 

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,948
130
In some number systems, infinity is in fact a number. It isn't a real number, though. So your teacher is wrong.
 

JamesU

Gold Member
732
3
I don't see how that is, but I listen to PF'ers
 
113
1
I think for all intents and purposes we can say his teacher was right.

yomamma: Try to imagine what number infinity would be. You can't. See, it's only an idea. A quick Google search might give you a better understanding..
 

JamesU

Gold Member
732
3
That doesn't excuse his little fit.


I've always thought of infinity as a number
 

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,948
130
Look up on, say, one or two point compactifications of the real line if you are interested.
 
62
0
a number is an idea that can be related to describe a definite amount. infinite by definition is indefinite. hence infinite + infinite is not 2 * infinite, and infinite - infinite isnt zero (unless both are the "same infinite"). its also why you use L'Hopital's rule in calculating limits of the form 0/0, inf/0, 0/inf, and inf/inf. btw, "same infinite" can be checked by seeing if the derivation of the functions producing infinite gives u the same answers
 
462
0
Infinite is a number AND an idea. All numbers are ideas. Real numbers are no more real than imaginary numbers. Read Penrose's "The Road to Reality" chapters 3 and 4.
 
1,120
7
He shouldn't of disrespected you by tossing your paper on the floor, hismomma should of taught him better!
 
480
0
yomamma said:
In science, I have to listen to the teacher talk about basic physics, while everyone else is learning what [tex] \Delta [/tex] means... :rolleyes: :groan: and In computers, I have to type crap on MS word for about an hour until the class is over. (that's ALL we do) I'm tired of school...
Don't worry, I'm a Junior in highschool and honest to god most of my class probably doesn't know what a delta sign means in most of these problems. Here is a sample question from my test today

If an object of 2kg accelerated at 10m/s^2 given a certain force, what would the acceleration be of an object double the mass with the same force?(No friction blah blah blah)

Sad thing is, most of the questions somehow were easier than that one, which I never thought was possible
:mad:

AP Physics better be better than this :yuck:
 
Last edited:

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,948
130
Incorrect:
Infinity is really a number. Not a real one, though.
 

Pengwuino

Gold Member
4,854
14
arildno said:
Infinity is really a number. Not a real one, though.
lol... that sounds so funny... ah i love english
 

JamesU

Gold Member
732
3
moose said:
Don't worry, I'm a Junior in highschool and honest to god most of my class probably doesn't know what a delta sign means in most of these problems. Here is a sample question from my test today

If an object of 2kg accelerated at 10m/s^2 given a certain force, what would the acceleration be of an object double the mass with the same force?(No friction blah blah blah)

Sad thing is, most of the questions somehow were easier than that one, which I never thought was possible
:mad:

AP Physics better be better than this :yuck:
When we were done with the test, we put our papers in a box and she collects them. I happened to see someone's paper, and they said that there's no symbol representation for motion... :rolleyes:
 

cronxeh

Gold Member
949
10
instead of throwing a tantrum or being concerned with what you are studying.. consider this: the most important skill you can learn is independent study
 
164
0
Pengwuino said:
lol... that sounds so funny... ah i love english
hah, this one got me too

Cefarix said:
infinite by definition is indefinite
 

JamesU

Gold Member
732
3
cronxeh said:
instead of throwing a tantrum or being concerned with what you are studying.. consider this: the most important skill you can learn is independent study
:surprised your avatar!
 

cronxeh

Gold Member
949
10
Hmm.. you mean this thing:
http://myspace-612.vo.llnwd.net/00236/21/66/236266612_l.jpg [Broken]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
480
0
Learn not to get mad, ever. At least not show it.
 

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1,767
10
moose said:
Learn not to get mad, ever. At least not show it.
His teacher should've learned that one.
 
469
2
yomamma said:
In science, I have to listen to the teacher talk about basic physics, while everyone else is learning what [tex] \Delta [/tex] means... :rolleyes:
Are you in an actual physics class or is this just "general science?" [tex]\Delta[/tex] is also used to denote a fulcrum in general science classes when discussing simple machines and work.
 

JamesU

Gold Member
732
3
according to our teacher, this is physics.


nobody in the class even know what velocity is except me. Our science teacher keeps calling it speed. she said that [tex]v[/tex] represents speed, but we haven't even talked about what the symbol for velocity is. :rolleyes:
 

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
6,987
14
There most certainly are infinite numbers (outside the real line). Even in the complex plane, there are points at infinity (or directed infinities?). And if you want to extend the real line to include infinite numbers, you use the set of surreals or hyperreals. Also, there's the transfinite numbers, or the set of infinitly large ordinals.
 
480
0
yomamma said:
according to our teacher, this is physics.


nobody in the class even know what velocity is except me. Our science teacher keeps calling it speed. she said that [tex]v[/tex] represents speed, but we haven't even talked about what the symbol for velocity is. :rolleyes:
Take my word for this, when you get to highschool, you will be shocked at how easy the science curriculum is. Try to take all aim/honors/AP sicence courses to get away from this. I will get a link to my physics class bellwork from a few days ago just to put into perspective at how easy my class is( :cry: ).

This was my bellwork on the 21st of this month.
http://staffweb.peoriaud.k12.az.us/Andrew_Baker/Class_Notes_Fall_05/Physics/bw_2-6.mht [Broken]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Related Threads for: I'm so tired of my school

  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
4K
  • Last Post
3
Replies
51
Views
7K
Replies
22
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
16
Views
4K
Replies
3
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
17
Views
4K
  • Last Post
3
Replies
64
Views
5K

Hot Threads

Top