Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm so tired of my school

1. Sep 23, 2005 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

I'm so tired of my school...

My math teacher insists that infifnity is not a number, that it's only an idea. I got an A on a math test and missed one problem. he gave us a chence to redo the questions that night. Some kid took my test paper to him (without my knowledge. I guess this kid thought that I did my corrections) so the teacher asked: "what's this?! where are the corrections?!" he goes into a little fit and says "well, it there are no corrections, I don't want it then!" and throws the paper on the floor.

In science, I have to listen to the teacher talk about basic physics, while everyone else is learning what [tex] \Delta [/tex] means... :rolleyes: :groan: and In computers, I have to type crap on MS word for about an hour until the class is over. (that's ALL we do) I'm tired of school...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2005 #2
    Infinity is not a number..

4. Sep 23, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah it's not a number...

5. Sep 23, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

In some number systems, infinity is in fact a number. It isn't a real number, though. So your teacher is wrong.

6. Sep 23, 2005 #5

JamesU

Gold Member

I don't see how that is, but I listen to PF'ers

7. Sep 23, 2005 #6
    I think for all intents and purposes we can say his teacher was right.

yomamma: Try to imagine what number infinity would be. You can't. See, it's only an idea. A quick Google search might give you a better understanding..

8. Sep 23, 2005 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

That doesn't excuse his little fit.

I've always thought of infinity as a number

9. Sep 23, 2005 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Look up on, say, one or two point compactifications of the real line if you are interested.

10. Sep 23, 2005 #9
    a number is an idea that can be related to describe a definite amount. infinite by definition is indefinite. hence infinite + infinite is not 2 * infinite, and infinite - infinite isnt zero (unless both are the "same infinite"). its also why you use L'Hopital's rule in calculating limits of the form 0/0, inf/0, 0/inf, and inf/inf. btw, "same infinite" can be checked by seeing if the derivation of the functions producing infinite gives u the same answers

11. Sep 23, 2005 #10
    Infinite is a number AND an idea. All numbers are ideas. Real numbers are no more real than imaginary numbers. Read Penrose's "The Road to Reality" chapters 3 and 4.

12. Sep 23, 2005 #11
    He shouldn't of disrespected you by tossing your paper on the floor, hismomma should of taught him better!

13. Sep 23, 2005 #12
    Don't worry, I'm a Junior in highschool and honest to god most of my class probably doesn't know what a delta sign means in most of these problems. Here is a sample question from my test today

If an object of 2kg accelerated at 10m/s^2 given a certain force, what would the acceleration be of an object double the mass with the same force?(No friction blah blah blah)

Sad thing is, most of the questions somehow were easier than that one, which I never thought was possible
    :mad:

AP Physics better be better than this :yuck:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  14. Sep 23, 2005 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Incorrect:
    Infinity is really a number. Not a real one, though.

15. Sep 23, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

lol... that sounds so funny... ah i love english

16. Sep 23, 2005 #15

JamesU

Gold Member

When we were done with the test, we put our papers in a box and she collects them. I happened to see someone's paper, and they said that there's no symbol representation for motion... :rolleyes:

17. Sep 23, 2005 #16

cronxeh

Gold Member

instead of throwing a tantrum or being concerned with what you are studying.. consider this: the most important skill you can learn is independent study

18. Sep 23, 2005 #17
    hah, this one got me too

19. Sep 24, 2005 #18

JamesU

Gold Member

:surprised your avatar!

20. Sep 24, 2005 #19

cronxeh

Gold Member

Hmm.. you mean this thing:
    [​IMG]

21. Sep 24, 2005 #20
    Learn not to get mad, ever. At least not show it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?