I'm so tired of my school

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
yomamma said:
according to our teacher, this is physics.

nobody in the class even know what velocity is except me. Our science teacher keeps calling it speed. she said that [tex]v[/tex] represents speed, but we haven't even talked about what the symbol for velocity is. :rolleyes:
That's probably because at your level, nobody has taken trig or calculus yet to appreciate the difference between speed and velocity. That's generally how things are taught in primary and secondary schools, very oversimplified...and they lie to you, a lot, until you have enough background to explain the more complex concepts. You're just way ahead of your class there. It's good for you, but also unfortunate because it means you'll be pretty bored with the classes you're in.

I'm shocked that your computer class is nothing but learning to use Word (and from what you've described of the computers, it's probably an outdated version too). Is it really a computer class, or more of a keyboarding class (learning to type)? Even back in the dark ages when I was in school, back before every household had a computer in it, we were taught BASIC programming in computer class...sure, it was just BASIC, but at least it was programming (we were also taught other things about computers in general, like what ASCII is, what bits, bytes and kilobytes were...nobody was thinking about megabytes or gigabytes on personal computers back then, and some other seemingly insignificant things now, but that weren't known by absolutely everybody back then). Macs had just come out with a mouse, which was a hugely big deal then...nobody even knew what a mouse was when our computer teacher came in all excited one day talking about this new computer he saw. :biggrin:

Mk
Moonbear said:
Macs had just come out with a mouse, which was a hugely big deal then...nobody even knew what a mouse was when our computer teacher came in all excited one day talking about this new computer he saw. :biggrin:
Even way back then, approximately 1x102 years ago, Apple were at the forefront of home personal computer technology.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Mk said:
Even way back then, approximately 1x102 years ago, Apple were at the forefront of home personal computer technology.
:grumpy: Hey now! Do you think that just because I'm a biologist, I don't know how many years are in 1x102?! :mad:

JamesU
Gold Member
This was my bellwork on the 21st of this month.
tsk...tsk..tsk...

in our last bellowrk, we had to define motion :approve: :uhh:

I'm shocked that your computer class is nothing but learning to use Word (and from what you've described of the computers, it's probably an outdated version too). Is it really a computer class, or more of a keyboarding class (learning to type)?
sometimes we go online to watch stupid flash animations on how to use word :approve:
Even back in the dark ages when I was in school, back before every household had a computer in it, we were taught BASIC programming in computer class...sure, it was just BASIC, but at least it was programming (we were also taught other things about computers in general, like what ASCII is, what bits, bytes and kilobytes were...nobody was thinking about megabytes or gigabytes on personal computers back then, and some other seemingly insignificant things now, but that weren't known by absolutely everybody back then).
lucky! :grumpy:

Macs had just come out with a mouse, which was a hugely big deal then...nobody even knew what a mouse was when our computer teacher came in all excited one day talking about this new computer he saw.
a mouse?! I'm using VisCalc on my apple...:biggrin:
http://park10.wakwak.com/~pinevill/image/etc/AppleII_j_plus.jpg [Broken]

Hey now! Do you think that just because I'm a biologist, I don't know how many years are in 1x102?
Well, do you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
yomamma said:
OMG!
You just reminded me how much I loved my Apple II. It's in the basemest now. I'm gonna go say hello and apoligize for not visiting for such a long time! :cry:

cronxeh
Gold Member
ehh old junk :tongue2:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
yomamma said:
a mouse?! I'm using VisCalc on my apple...:biggrin:
[/URL]
OMG!!! That was what I learned on (well, one with an English keyboard)! :bugeye: :eek: And it had a monochromatic green monitor.

JamesU
Gold Member
memories, eh?

Moonbear said:
OMG!!! That was what I learned on (well, one with an English keyboard)! :bugeye: :eek: And it had a monochromatic green monitor.
im only 21 and I used this very pc when i moved down to florida from new york. my elementary school had about 20 of them. up in new york we had ibm 486's at the time and i couldnt believe how bad the florida education system was.

yomamma said:
memories, eh?
Yeah. Have any yet? Shrimp.

JamesU
Gold Member
today in physics we learned that [tex] v = d/{ \Delta t}[/tex] and that it could br reversed into [tex]{\Delta t} * v=d[/tex] :rolleyes: :groan: