Is the Education System Failing to Engage Students in Science and Math?

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the student thinks that math and science are boring, computers are a waste of time, and school is really frustrating.
JamesU
Gold Member
I'm so tired of my school...

My math teacher insists that infifnity is not a number, that it's only an idea. I got an A on a math test and missed one problem. he gave us a chence to redo the questions that night. Some kid took my test paper to him (without my knowledge. I guess this kid thought that I did my corrections) so the teacher asked: "what's this?! where are the corrections?!" he goes into a little fit and says "well, it there are no corrections, I don't want it then!" and throws the paper on the floor.

In science, I have to listen to the teacher talk about basic physics, while everyone else is learning what [tex] \Delta [/tex] means... :rolleyes: :groan: and In computers, I have to type crap on MS word for about an hour until the class is over. (that's ALL we do) I'm tired of school...

Physics news on Phys.org
Infinity is not a number..

Yah it's not a number...

In some number systems, infinity is in fact a number. It isn't a real number, though. So your teacher is wrong.

I don't see how that is, but I listen to PF'ers

I think for all intents and purposes we can say his teacher was right.

yomamma: Try to imagine what number infinity would be. You can't. See, it's only an idea. A quick Google search might give you a better understanding..

That doesn't excuse his little fit.

I've always thought of infinity as a number

Look up on, say, one or two point compactifications of the real line if you are interested.

a number is an idea that can be related to describe a definite amount. infinite by definition is indefinite. hence infinite + infinite is not 2 * infinite, and infinite - infinite isn't zero (unless both are the "same infinite"). its also why you use L'Hopital's rule in calculating limits of the form 0/0, inf/0, 0/inf, and inf/inf. btw, "same infinite" can be checked by seeing if the derivation of the functions producing infinite gives u the same answers

Infinite is a number AND an idea. All numbers are ideas. Real numbers are no more real than imaginary numbers. Read Penrose's "The Road to Reality" chapters 3 and 4.

He shouldn't of disrespected you by tossing your paper on the floor, hismomma should of taught him better!

yomamma said:
In science, I have to listen to the teacher talk about basic physics, while everyone else is learning what [tex] \Delta [/tex] means... :rolleyes: :groan: and In computers, I have to type crap on MS word for about an hour until the class is over. (that's ALL we do) I'm tired of school...

Don't worry, I'm a Junior in high school and honest to god most of my class probably doesn't know what a delta sign means in most of these problems. Here is a sample question from my test today

If an object of 2kg accelerated at 10m/s^2 given a certain force, what would the acceleration be of an object double the mass with the same force?(No friction blah blah blah)

Sad thing is, most of the questions somehow were easier than that one, which I never thought was possible
:mad:

AP Physics better be better than this :yuck:

Last edited:
Incorrect:
Infinity is really a number. Not a real one, though.

arildno said:
Infinity is really a number. Not a real one, though.

lol... that sounds so funny... ah i love english

moose said:
Don't worry, I'm a Junior in high school and honest to god most of my class probably doesn't know what a delta sign means in most of these problems. Here is a sample question from my test today

If an object of 2kg accelerated at 10m/s^2 given a certain force, what would the acceleration be of an object double the mass with the same force?(No friction blah blah blah)

Sad thing is, most of the questions somehow were easier than that one, which I never thought was possible
:mad:

AP Physics better be better than this :yuck:
When we were done with the test, we put our papers in a box and she collects them. I happened to see someone's paper, and they said that there's no symbol representation for motion... :rolleyes:

instead of throwing a tantrum or being concerned with what you are studying.. consider this: the most important skill you can learn is independent study

Pengwuino said:
lol... that sounds so funny... ah i love english

hah, this one got me too

Cefarix said:
infinite by definition is indefinite

cronxeh said:
instead of throwing a tantrum or being concerned with what you are studying.. consider this: the most important skill you can learn is independent study
your avatar!

Hmm.. you mean this thing:
http://myspace-612.vo.llnwd.net/00236/21/66/236266612_l.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Learn not to get mad, ever. At least not show it.

moose said:
Learn not to get mad, ever. At least not show it.
His teacher should've learned that one.

yomamma said:
In science, I have to listen to the teacher talk about basic physics, while everyone else is learning what [tex] \Delta [/tex] means... :rolleyes:
Are you in an actual physics class or is this just "general science?" [tex]\Delta[/tex] is also used to denote a fulcrum in general science classes when discussing simple machines and work.

according to our teacher, this is physics.

nobody in the class even know what velocity is except me. Our science teacher keeps calling it speed. she said that [tex]v[/tex] represents speed, but we haven't even talked about what the symbol for velocity is. :rolleyes:

There most certainly are infinite numbers (outside the real line). Even in the complex plane, there are points at infinity (or directed infinities?). And if you want to extend the real line to include infinite numbers, you use the set of surreals or hyperreals. Also, there's the transfinite numbers, or the set of infinitly large ordinals.

yomamma said:

nobody in the class even know what velocity is except me. Our science teacher keeps calling it speed. she said that [tex]v[/tex] represents speed, but we haven't even talked about what the symbol for velocity is. :rolleyes:

Take my word for this, when you get to high school, you will be shocked at how easy the science curriculum is. Try to take all aim/honors/AP sicence courses to get away from this. I will get a link to my physics class bellwork from a few days ago just to put into perspective at how easy my class is( :cry: ).

This was my bellwork on the 21st of this month.
http://staffweb.peoriaud.k12.az.us/Andrew_Baker/Class_Notes_Fall_05/Physics/bw_2-6.mht [Broken]

yomamma said:

That's probably because at your level, nobody has taken trig or calculus yet to appreciate the difference between speed and velocity. That's generally how things are taught in primary and secondary schools, very oversimplified...and they lie to you, a lot, until you have enough background to explain the more complex concepts. You're just way ahead of your class there. It's good for you, but also unfortunate because it means you'll be pretty bored with the classes you're in.

I'm shocked that your computer class is nothing but learning to use Word (and from what you've described of the computers, it's probably an outdated version too). Is it really a computer class, or more of a keyboarding class (learning to type)? Even back in the dark ages when I was in school, back before every household had a computer in it, we were taught BASIC programming in computer class...sure, it was just BASIC, but at least it was programming (we were also taught other things about computers in general, like what ASCII is, what bits, bytes and kilobytes were...nobody was thinking about megabytes or gigabytes on personal computers back then, and some other seemingly insignificant things now, but that weren't known by absolutely everybody back then). Macs had just come out with a mouse, which was a hugely big deal then...nobody even knew what a mouse was when our computer teacher came in all excited one day talking about this new computer he saw. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Macs had just come out with a mouse, which was a hugely big deal then...nobody even knew what a mouse was when our computer teacher came in all excited one day talking about this new computer he saw. :biggrin:
Even way back then, approximately 1x102 years ago, Apple were at the forefront of home personal computer technology.

Mk said:
Even way back then, approximately 1x102 years ago, Apple were at the forefront of home personal computer technology.
:grumpy: Hey now! Do you think that just because I'm a biologist, I don't know how many years are in 1x102?! :mad:

This was my bellwork on the 21st of this month.

tsk...tsk..tsk...

in our last bellowrk, we had to define motion :approve: :uhh:

I'm shocked that your computer class is nothing but learning to use Word (and from what you've described of the computers, it's probably an outdated version too). Is it really a computer class, or more of a keyboarding class (learning to type)?
sometimes we go online to watch stupid flash animations on how to use word :approve:
Even back in the dark ages when I was in school, back before every household had a computer in it, we were taught BASIC programming in computer class...sure, it was just BASIC, but at least it was programming (we were also taught other things about computers in general, like what ASCII is, what bits, bytes and kilobytes were...nobody was thinking about megabytes or gigabytes on personal computers back then, and some other seemingly insignificant things now, but that weren't known by absolutely everybody back then).
lucky! :grumpy:

Macs had just come out with a mouse, which was a hugely big deal then...nobody even knew what a mouse was when our computer teacher came in all excited one day talking about this new computer he saw.
a mouse?! I'm using VisCalc on my apple...:biggrin:
http://park10.wakwak.com/~pinevill/image/etc/AppleII_j_plus.jpg [Broken]

Hey now! Do you think that just because I'm a biologist, I don't know how many years are in 1x102?
Well, do you?

yomamma said:
OMG!
You just reminded me how much I loved my Apple II. It's in the basemest now. I'm going to go say hello and apoligize for not visiting for such a long time! :cry:

ehh old junk :tongue2:

yomamma said:
a mouse?! I'm using VisCalc on my apple...:biggrin:
[/URL]
OMG! That was what I learned on (well, one with an English keyboard)! :bugeye: :eek: And it had a monochromatic green monitor.

memories, eh?

Moonbear said:
OMG! That was what I learned on (well, one with an English keyboard)! :bugeye: :eek: And it had a monochromatic green monitor.

im only 21 and I used this very pc when i moved down to florida from new york. my elementary school had about 20 of them. up in new york we had ibm 486's at the time and i couldn't believe how bad the florida education system was.

yomamma said:
memories, eh?
Yeah. Have any yet? Shrimp.