I'm standing on a black hole, is light approaching red or blue?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of extreme gravity on light and time. It is mentioned that an observer cannot physically stand on a black hole, but in a thought experiment, they would see light redshifted due to stretching of the wavelength. The Pound-Rebka experiment contradicts this, indicating that light coming from an outside observer would be blueshifted. The conversation also delves into the concept of the Schwarzschild radius and how it is related to mass and time. It is mentioned that the visible universe has a Schwarzschild radius equivalent to its age, and the conversation ends with a calculation of the Schwarzschild radius for various objects.
That ambiguity is one reason that I am glad none of my cosmology textbooks (12) of them nor any recent thesis papers I've read (lost count on the number). Utilize the bound/unbound terminology anymore. They simply state finite or infinite is unknown then discuss the 3 geometries and describe their effects on light paths.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mordred said:
That ambiguity is one reason that I am glad none of my cosmology textbooks (12) of them nor any recent thesis papers I've read (lost count on the number). Utilize the bound/unbound terminology anymore. They simply state finite or infinite is unknown then discuss the 3 geometries and describe their effects on light paths.
12 books wow! Quite the cosmology connoisseur I see :smile:! And yes I agree that simply stating the 3 geometries should be enough since the local geometrical properties (but not global topological properties such as your torus example) follow suit from simply prescribing these 3 geometries. One book that I think discusses the terminology and "technicalities" in a nice way is the book George Jones recently recommended to me: "Gravitation: Foundations and Frontiers" - T.Padmanabhan

phinds said:
I don't understand your talking about finite but bounded.

Oops, I meant to say "finite but unbounded". :redface: You're quite right, finite but bounded doesn't make sense. I have fixed my previous post.

WannabeNewton said:
it may very well be that Peter was referring to how ##S^{3}## is bounded in the second sense mentioned above.

I was referring to ##S^3## being a manifold without boundary in the topological sense; but as phinds pointed out, I should have said "unbounded", not "bounded" (I have now corrected that in my previous post). I don't know if there's a more precise term that has that specific meaning without the ambiguities you mention. One more reason to be wary of expressing things in natural language instead of in math.

Last edited:
PeterDonis said:
Oops, I meant to say "finite but unbounded". :redface: You're quite right, finite but bounded doesn't make sense. I have fixed my previous post.

I had to laugh at myself. After chiding you about this, I happened to notice that my own post #23 used bounded where I MEANT to say UNbounded (I've gone back now and edited it)

Thanks for the reference WannabeNewton. I'll have to add that to my collection.