Materials Engineering: My Interesting Month So Far

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
In summary, Brewnog has been working in Materials Engineering and has seen some fascinating failures. He has been working on a different site and with a different product than usual.
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well I've had an interesting month or so!

I've been working in Materials Engineering! Thought it was going to be rather dull, but once I'd been trained how to cut things up and do all sorts of tests on them then it suddenly became interesting! Seen some absolutely fascinating failures and since I've been based on a different site (hence my absence) I've been working with a different product too.

So did I miss anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mmmmmmmm materials...yummy...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHH

D'OH!

brewnog said:

I've been working in Materials Engineering! Thought it was going to be rather dull, but once I'd been trained how to cut things up and do all sorts of tests on them then it suddenly became interesting! Seen some absolutely fascinating failures and since I've been based on a different site (hence my absence) I've been working with a different product too.

So did I miss anything?

You have missed so much, i can not begin to tell you, so i won't.

brewnog said:

I was wondering as to where you disappeared.

brewnog said:
So did I miss anything?
Yeah. That's what you get for being AWOL. Give us a warning next time.

Glad to hear from you! And yes you missed everything from Wolly's pink bed coverings to evos allergies!

Nice to see you here again!:smile:

Hey Brewnog it sounds like you are doing great. Congratulations!

Of course you missed a lot! You're just going to have to read all the threads you missed until you're all caught up again. We'll give you until the end of the week...ready...set...GO! :biggrin:

Glad to hear things are going well for you with your job. Always good to find something you enjoy and that they're willing to let you learn new things.

brewnog said:

So did I miss anything?
Evo's cat died, A for August, PF Fall man, More great movies, Freedom fries no more, Yomomma finally left, Cat photo contest, Very rough test of intelligence, Should I braid my ponytail?, Lame jokes, Is "Global Warming" hot?, Favorite pictures, Flirtation... yeah you missed it. I don't think you need the threads do you? I don't know how far back you've been gone.

when did I leave?

and why do poeple always misspell my name?

What is Materials Engineering?

Materials Engineering is a field of science that focuses on the design, development, and testing of materials for various applications. This includes understanding the properties and behavior of materials, as well as how they can be manipulated and improved for specific purposes.

What are some examples of materials engineering in everyday life?

Materials engineering has a wide range of applications in everyday life, including the development of new and improved materials for construction, transportation, electronics, medicine, and consumer products. Some examples include the development of lightweight and durable materials for airplanes, the creation of biocompatible materials for medical implants, and the production of high-performance materials for smartphones and other devices.

What are the main challenges faced by materials engineers?

One of the main challenges faced by materials engineers is finding the right balance between the properties and performance of materials. This involves understanding the trade-offs between strength, durability, cost, and other factors. Another challenge is developing sustainable and environmentally-friendly materials, as well as addressing issues such as material shortage and waste management.

What skills are needed to become a materials engineer?

Becoming a materials engineer requires a strong foundation in math and science, particularly in areas such as chemistry, physics, and materials science. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, and the ability to work with a team. Strong communication and project management skills are also essential in this field.

What are some current developments in materials engineering?

Materials engineering is a rapidly evolving field, with ongoing developments in areas such as nanotechnology, biomaterials, and sustainable materials. There is also a growing focus on additive manufacturing (3D printing) and the use of artificial intelligence and machine learning in materials research and development.