How to Calculate Velocity After a Spring Releases?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of velocity from a variable force, specifically a spring. The problem involves a 1.118 kg block on a horizontal surface with a coefficient of friction of 0.150, in contact with a compressed lightweight spring with a spring constant of 715 N/m. The spring does 4.326 J of work while returning to its equilibrium position, and the distance it was compressed is calculated to be 0.11 m. The hint mentioned that the work done by both the spring and friction should equal the kinetic energy of the spring, but the use of the formula K=1/2(m*v^2) did not yield the correct answer. The force is calculated to be 39.
songokou77
Velocity from variable force(spring)?

What is the velocity of the mass as it breaks contact with the spring?
From part 1 I got:
A 1.118 kg block is on a horizontal surface with mu-k = 0.150, and is in contact with a lightweight spring with a spring constant of 715 N/m which is compressed. Upon release, the spring does 4.326 J of work while returning to its equilibrium position. Calculate the distance the spring was compressed. Answer:0.11 m
Also I got a hint:The force that acted on the mass comes from the spring and from friction. Thus the amount of work equals the kinetic energy of the spring. From the equation of work done by both forces we can calculate the velocity of the spring. (i thought i understood it, but something seems wrong.)

I thought of using the formula K=1/2(m*v^2) but it's wrong
Also from the hint o found that the force is: 39.33 N ( i divided the work done with the distance)
What am i missing

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
?

It seems like you are on the right track with using the formula K=1/2(m*v^2) to find the velocity. However, it is important to note that this formula calculates the kinetic energy of the mass, not the spring. The hint provided is suggesting to use the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. So, in this case, the work done by the spring and friction must equal the change in kinetic energy of the mass.

To find the velocity, you can set up the equation: Wspring + Wfriction = 1/2(m*v^2).

From the given information, we know that the work done by the spring is 4.326 J and the work done by friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of kinetic friction (mu-k) by the normal force (mg). So, Wfriction = mu-k * mg * d, where d is the distance the mass travels before breaking contact with the spring.

Then, we can plug in the values and solve for v: 4.326 J + (0.150 * 1.118 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * d) = 1/2(1.118 kg * v^2).

Since we know that the distance the mass travels before breaking contact with the spring is equal to the distance the spring was compressed, which is given as 0.11 m, we can substitute that into the equation and solve for v.

I hope this helps clarify the concept and guide you in the right direction. Remember to always carefully read and understand the given information and use the appropriate formulas to solve the problem. Good luck!

What do I do if I'm stuck at the end of an exercise?

If you find yourself stuck at the end of an exercise, take a step back and review the instructions. Make sure you understand the task and what is being asked of you. If you are still stuck, try breaking the exercise down into smaller parts and tackling them one at a time. You can also try asking a friend or classmate for help or reaching out to your teacher or instructor for clarification.

How can I avoid getting stuck at the end of an exercise?

To avoid getting stuck at the end of an exercise, make sure you understand the material before starting the exercise. Take notes and ask questions during lectures or discussions. Also, try to actively engage with the material and practice on your own before attempting the exercise. If you do get stuck, don't be afraid to ask for help or take a break and come back to it with a fresh perspective.

Is it okay to ask for help if I'm stuck at the end of an exercise?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help if you are stuck at the end of an exercise. In fact, seeking help is often encouraged in order to better understand the material and improve your skills. Just make sure you have made a genuine effort to solve the exercise on your own before asking for assistance.

What should I do if I'm stuck at the end of an exercise and the due date is approaching?

If the due date for the exercise is approaching and you are still stuck, prioritize completing the parts of the exercise that you do understand. This will ensure that you at least have some work to turn in. You can also reach out to your teacher or instructor for an extension or clarification on the exercise. Remember to communicate your struggles and efforts to your teacher or instructor.

How can I use being stuck at the end of an exercise as a learning opportunity?

Being stuck at the end of an exercise can be a valuable learning opportunity. Take the time to reflect on why you got stuck and what you can do differently in the future. This could include studying the material more thoroughly, seeking help earlier, or breaking down the exercise into smaller parts. Use this experience to improve your problem-solving skills and become a stronger learner.