Sky Diver Free Fall: Speed, Distance, Limiting Velocity & Time Calculation

In summary, at the speed v when the parachute opens, the sky diver falls for 10 seconds and is at a speed of 32 ft/s.
footballxpaul
A sky diver weighing 180 lb falls vertically downward from an altitude of 5000ft and opens the parachute after 10 s of free fall. assume that the force of air resistance is 0.75(v) when the parachute is closed and 12(v) when the parachute is open, where the velocity v is measured in ft/s.

a) find speed of the sky diver when the parachute opens
b) find the distance fallen before the parachute opens
c)What is the limiting velocity V_L after the parachute opens?
d) Determine how long the sky diver is in the air after the parachute opens

I have tried to set it up like -

(dv/dt)= (.75(v))/180-a and seperating and solving but answer doesn't make sense

and

V=32(t)-(.75v/180)t that didnt make sense either

I know I am probably setting this up wrong, I was just trying to do F=ma for the set up? please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea where you got that first equation- it has "180- a" and there is no reference to "a" in what you write before that. The second equation is almost right but you seem to be taking the positive direction of velocity downward which seems peculiar to me. More importantly, you have the acceleration on the right side equal to V rather than dV/dt. Finally, 180 pounds is weight not mass. Weight is the force due to gravity on a given mass: 180= mg so m= 180/g.

dv/dt= acceleration= force/mass and there are two forces acting here: gravitational force -mg and air resistance -(.75)v (- because the resistance is always directed opposite to the velocity it is resisting.)

m dv/dt= -mg- (.75)v so dv/dt= -g- (.75)v/m= -g- (.75)gv/180= -g(1+ (.74/180)v).

That is an easily separable equation. Solve for v(t) and determine v(10), the speed when the parachute opens. After the parachute opens the equation is
dv/dt= -g(1+ (12/180)v). Solve that using the previous v(10) as the initial value.

Hopefully, you will find that v(t) is an exponential with negative exponent. The "limiting velocity" is the limit as t goes to infinity. Even simpler, at the "limiting velocity", the velocity does not change so dv/dt= -g(1+ (12/180)v)= 0.

I was using a to be acceleration or dv/dt. But thankyou I knew I wasnt seeing it right.

What is a modeling problem?

A modeling problem is a scientific or mathematical question or challenge that requires the use of models or simulations to find a solution. Models are simplified representations of complex systems or processes that can be used to make predictions and gain a deeper understanding of the problem at hand.

Why am I stuck on my modeling problem?

Modeling problems can be challenging and require a lot of time and effort to solve. It is common to get stuck on a modeling problem because it may involve complex concepts, data, or equations that are difficult to understand or manipulate. It is important to take breaks, seek help from others, and try different approaches when you are feeling stuck.

What are some common modeling techniques?

Some common modeling techniques include statistical modeling, computer simulations, mathematical modeling, and physical or conceptual models. Each technique has its own advantages and is used to address different types of problems. It is important to choose the appropriate modeling technique for your specific problem.

How do I know if my model is accurate?

The accuracy of a model can be determined by comparing its predictions to real-world data or observations. If the model's predictions closely match the data, then it can be considered accurate. Another way to ensure accuracy is to validate the model using multiple data sets or by adjusting the model's parameters to see how it affects the predictions.

What are some common challenges when working on a modeling problem?

Some common challenges when working on a modeling problem include working with large and complex data sets, choosing the appropriate modeling technique, understanding and manipulating complex equations, and validating the accuracy of the model. It is important to be patient, persistent, and open to trying new approaches when facing these challenges.