Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Im stuck on some problems.

1. Nov 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the barrel of a rifle has a length of 0.916m. a bullet leaves the muzzle of a rifle with a speed of 642 m/s. (note: assume the acceleration in this is constant) what is the acceleration of the bullet while in the barrel? answer is m/s^2

2. Relevant equations

uhm i assume since im looking for A i got a=V(final)+V(initial) divided by t

3. The attempt at a solution
    uhm what i have goten so far is V(i)= 0m/s? V(f) = 642 m/s and time as .0014267913 ?

i get a wacked number that i know isnt right haha. any help?

also my paper has 2-3 problems like the one im fixing to explain that im little confused on.
    1. find the average acceleration during the time interval 3s to 6s. answer in m/s^2
    so far i got that the velocity is 5m/s from 3 to 6? and i guess T= 3? im getting it wrong though the site says when i enter my answer.

2.find the instantaneous acceleration at 4 seconds. answer in m/s^2 uhm like earlier the velocity is 5m/s from 3s to 6 s. and i have no clue how to do that with the Acceleration formula my teacher gave me. any help helps

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2008 #2
    What information do we have? We're looking for a. We have Vf = 642. Vi = 0. x = 0.916.

What equation has these four variables in it?

Wouldn't it be better to use Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ax?

4. Nov 5, 2008 #3
    im getting 224980.3493? heh? O_O

5. Nov 5, 2008 #4
    3 knows
    vi, vf, and x. solve for a.

Using newton's equations of motion:
    vf^2=vi^2+2ax

a = 224,989.3493 m/s^2

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook