1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Im stuck on some problems.

1. Nov 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the barrel of a rifle has a length of 0.916m. a bullet leaves the muzzle of a rifle with a speed of 642 m/s. (note: assume the acceleration in this is constant) what is the acceleration of the bullet while in the barrel? answer is m/s^2

2. Relevant equations

uhm i assume since im looking for A i got a=V(final)+V(initial) divided by t

3. The attempt at a solution
    uhm what i have goten so far is V(i)= 0m/s? V(f) = 642 m/s and time as .0014267913 ?

i get a wacked number that i know isnt right haha. any help?

also my paper has 2-3 problems like the one im fixing to explain that im little confused on.
    1. find the average acceleration during the time interval 3s to 6s. answer in m/s^2
    so far i got that the velocity is 5m/s from 3 to 6? and i guess T= 3? im getting it wrong though the site says when i enter my answer.

2.find the instantaneous acceleration at 4 seconds. answer in m/s^2 uhm like earlier the velocity is 5m/s from 3s to 6 s. and i have no clue how to do that with the Acceleration formula my teacher gave me. any help helps

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2008 #2
    What information do we have? We're looking for a. We have Vf = 642. Vi = 0. x = 0.916.

What equation has these four variables in it?

Wouldn't it be better to use Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ax?

4. Nov 5, 2008 #3
    im getting 224980.3493? heh? O_O

5. Nov 5, 2008 #4
    3 knows
    vi, vf, and x. solve for a.

Using newton's equations of motion:
    vf^2=vi^2+2ax

a = 224,989.3493 m/s^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?