Solving Problem 2-8: Relative Velocity and Time Elapses

In summary: Thanks for the opportunity.Problem 2-8: two spaceships, each traveling in opposite directions, pass each other. A measures that the front of spaceship B requires 5x10^-6 seconds to traverse the full length of A.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I think I'm thinking to hard for this one, so I'll wait till tomorrow before checking up with you guys. I'll let my brain freshen up first. Yes, I have a "thing" for figuring it out on my own.

Anyways, it's a question from David Hogg's book, so it is NOT my homework.

Problem 2-8

Two spaceships, each measuring 100 m in its own rest frame, pass by each other traveling in opposite directions. Instruments on board spaceship A determine that the front of spaceship B requires 5x10^-6 s to traverse the full length of A.

a) What is the relative velocity of the two spaceships?
b)How much time elapses on a clock from spaceship B as it traverses the full length of A?

Now, that I typed it out, I believe I got it now, so I'll check it out later, and see you guys in 12 hours.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
a) In the frame of A, synchronized clocks can be setup at the front and back ends of A's spaceship. Hence the speed that A measures for B is determined simply by distance / time.
b) The spaceships are symmetrical. What exactly does the phrase "traversing the full length of A" - the time it takes for the entire ship to pass by one stationary point (eg. the front) in the frame of B?

I thought the same for a).

Question b) What would the time be in B's Frame. B wouldn't measure 100m because of length contraction.

If we are right about a), than v is:

[tex]100m/5.0*10^-6 = 20,000,000m/s[/tex]

To find out how much time went by for spaceship B, we use the time dilation(pythagorean) formula.

[tex]\gamma \equiv \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

If I did the calculations right, for every second that passes on B, 1.00223 seconds passes on A, relative to A.

This doesn't seem like it is the answer. The question isn't clear enough.

The above question are the EXACT words out of the book, so questions relating to what does "this" actually mean I do not know anything. This is where I think too deep, and I'm sure some of you get the same problem.

I'll move on, and if something comes up, I'll try it.

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the measurement of the speed and direction of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account both the speed and direction of both objects.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity can be calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of another object. This gives the relative velocity between the two objects.

3. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity is the measurement of an object's speed and direction in relation to a fixed point, while relative velocity takes into account the speed and direction of another moving object.

4. How does time elapse affect relative velocity?

Time elapse does not affect relative velocity, as it is a measurement of the speed and direction of two objects at a specific moment in time. However, it can affect the distance between the two objects and therefore the relative velocity if one or both objects are accelerating or decelerating.

5. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This means that the two objects are moving in opposite directions, or that the relative velocity is in the opposite direction of the chosen reference point.