Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm such a hermit Roy Orbison alert

1. Jan 29, 2009 #1

turbo

Gold Member

I'm such a hermit!! Roy Orbison alert!!

I never pay attention to TV listings because it's pretty much all crap - BUT right now on PBS there is a special featuring Roy Orbison and friends. Hopefully, the folks in the Central, Mountain, and Pacific zones might benefit from the heads-up. The list of guest performers is stunning.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2009 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Re: I'm such a hermit!! Roy Orbison alert!!

Man! this is a great show!

4. Jan 29, 2009 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've seen it, or one like it, very good.

5. Jan 29, 2009 #4

turbo

Gold Member

6. Jan 29, 2009 #5

turbo

Gold Member

There were a few times that old friends, instructors, and new talents from local university music programs conspired to pile onto the open-mike blues-jams that I was running at local taverns. It was always such a blast! I know that to produce a show like this Orbison special, there was a lot of preparation, rehearsal, etc, required, but I've got to tell you that the most magical, fun stuff in performances comes up on the spur of the moment, and sometimes when you least expect it.

7. Jan 30, 2009 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Roy Orbison, was he not from the steam radio and teddy boy days, i think mom has a record of his with a little dog and a gramophone as a logo, it is a shame she can no longer play it, as the gramophone was riddled with wood worm and chucked out.

8. Jan 30, 2009 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Roy was really big in the early '60s. His management made him wear sunglasses all the time in public because his eyesight was very bad, and the strong corrective lenses that he needed made him look odd.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?