Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm thinking about joining Mensa

1. Apr 28, 2003 #1
    I'm thinking about joining Mensa and I was wondering what experiences others have had with them. I really don't know if it's something I want to do or not. What are the benefits of joining?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2003 #2
    Re: Mensa

A feeling of being elite?
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2003
  4. Apr 28, 2003 #3
    That's the last thing I want. I already have to fight against that.
  5. Apr 28, 2003 #4
    The initial test for mensa was so easy that I decided that it would probably not be elite enough, so I decided not to join.

Either that, or they just wanted me to pay them more money to take the second test, which may have been harder.
  6. Apr 28, 2003 #5
    Do the Megatest instead. Mensa only means you're in the top 1,2,3,4 out of a hundred at their tests. Do the tests to see if you're 1 in a 1000, 1 in 10,000, 100,000 or 1,000,000 if you really want to feel superior.
  7. Apr 28, 2003 #6
    I belive you have to pay for a mebership so in a sense you pay for peopel to acknowledge your itelligance when you could do it on your own...here...unless you dont have to pay and i just look stupiad...agian.
  8. Apr 28, 2003 #7
    Try this for size if you think Mensa is for wimps: Mega test
  9. Apr 29, 2003 #8
    Can you actually find an online version of the Mega test?

The questions are not actually at your link.
  10. Apr 29, 2003 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

why do you feel the need to join? surely you must have some doubts if you are asking others about their experiences?
  11. Apr 29, 2003 #10

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If they don't have socials with free beer, then it's probably not worth the aggravation.

If they do, then sign me up!
  12. Apr 29, 2003 #11
    What is the point of MENSA anyways? What do they do?
  13. Apr 29, 2003 #12
    silly mensa

I don't know why you would want to join asides from wanting to feel superior and have some poeple pat you on the back for being "smart".

maybe if that bar-b-que thing is true i'll join..:smile:
  14. Apr 29, 2003 #13
    Mensa does nothing. Not in Australia, anyway. They offer no scholarships, no loans, no material benefits of any kind. All they offer is a club, chatting to other members, that's about it.
  15. May 1, 2003 #14
    Yes I do have some doubts, that's why I was asking. As to why I would think about joining, this is going to sound bad however I put it, but it's nice to talk to people at your own level for a change.
  16. May 1, 2003 #15

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The basic reason to join mensa is to meet other bright people, including those of the opposite sex. Assortative mating, the evolutionists call it. As such it's good for society. we need more smart babies.
  17. May 1, 2003 #16

[paranoia]Hmm... maybe it's all a vast breeding experiment to find the "genius gene", so that scientists can be bred and farmed like cattle for ideas?[/paranoia]
  18. May 20, 2003 #17
    i find it sad that no one has mentioned the need to have an IQ of 130 or over to join Menza. and why shouldnt you join if your smart enough to join why not be a part of a social circle that acknowledges inteligence.
  19. May 20, 2003 #18
    MENSA is a network of individuals with a 98% intelligence score or above. It's main purpose is to simple unite its members through various conventions and other events.

That's it. It's a simple organization. Simple purpose.
  20. May 20, 2003 #19
    I briefly considered joining Mensa at one time for the same reason as Laser Eyes - I didn't really know anyone with whom I shared similar interests and was desperate for conversation. It wasn't necessarily for reasons pertaining to superiority although I'm sure there are card carrying Mensa members who tell everyone they know. However, I'm of the opinion that the only people who think Mensa members are cool are either:

a) Other Mensa members or
    b) Family members of Mensa members (especially parents..)

The general population seems to have great disdain for the kind of elitist attitude that emanates from Mensa members whether they know them or not.

In the end I didn't bother trying to join because there is a membership fee and I eventually found other avenues to fill my need for intelligent discourse. I ended up joining a chess club, a linux users group, and PF around that time. Now I have a boyfriend who meets all of my conversational and intellectual needs, so I don't frequent any of the above too often anymore, but I believe anything related to specific interests will find people all of the mental stimulation they need.
  21. May 20, 2003 #20
    My dads a member of Mensa, hes got the certifcate to prove it, ill try to scan it up for you
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?