What is the quickest way to format and copy a quote in a programming language?

• Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary, The conversation is about the most efficient way to reproduce a given string without using keyboard shortcuts or copying and pasting. The suggested solution is to write a script in any language that would append tags to every other letter in the string. One example using Java and Python is provided. However, the conversation takes a humorous turn when one suggests coding it in brainf***.
Dembadon
Gold Member
...so forgive the stupid game:

What would be the most efficient way to reproduce the following without using keyboard shortcuts for formatting, or any variant of a quote + copy-paste method?

Do you know how long this took?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
[/QUOTE]
Code:
raphael@raphael:~$ cat bored.java
public class bored {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        String r = "";
        int j = 0;
        for(int i = 0; i < args[0].length(); i++) {
            if (args[0].charAt(i) != ' ' && j++ % 2 == 0) 
                r += String.format("[b][u][i]%s[/b][/u][/i]", args[0].charAt(i));
            else
                r += args[0].charAt(i);
        }
        System.out.println(r);
    }
}
raphael@raphael:~$ javac bored.java
raphael@raphael:~$ java bored "Do you know how long this took?"
[b][u][i]D[/b][/u][/i]o [b][u][i]y[/b][/u][/i]o[b][u][i]u[/b][/u][/i] k[b][u][i]n[/b][/u][/i]o[b][u][i]w[/b][/u][/i] h[b][u][i]o[/b][/u][/i]w [b][u][i]l[/b][/u][/i]o[b][u][i]n[/b][/u][/i]g [b][u][i]t[/b][/u][/i]h[b][u][i]i[/b][/u][/i]s [b][u][i]t[/b][/u][/i]o[b][u][i]o[/b][/u][/i]k[b][u][i]?[/b][/u][/i]

Code:
[noparse]borek@invincible ~/python $ cat bored.py
text='Do you know how long this took?'
outtext = ''
switch = 1

for c in text:
   if c == ' ':
      outtext += ' '
   else:
      if switch:
         outtext += '[b][u][i]'+c+'[/i][/u][/b]'
      else:
         outtext += c
      switch = 1 - switch

print outtext
borek@invincible ~/python $ python bored.py
[b][u][i]D[/i][/u][/b]o [b][u][i]y[/i][/u][/b]o[b][u][i]u[/i][/u][/b] k[b][u][i]n[/i][/u][/b]o[b][u][i]w[/i][/u][/b] h[b][u][i]o[/i][/u][/b]w [b][u][i]l[/i][/u][/b]o[b][u][i]n[/i][/u][/b]g [b][u][i]t[/i][/u][/b]h[b][u][i]i[/i][/u][/b]s [b][u][i]t[/i][/u][/b]o[b][u][i]o[/i][/u][/b]k[b][u][i]?[/i][/u][/b][/noparse]

Do you know how long this took?

If you are really bored you should try to code it in brain****

Sigh, one even can't post a proper name of that language.

I would recommend using a built-in function or method in the programming language you are using to quickly format and copy a quote. This will ensure accuracy and efficiency in reproducing the quote. For example, in Python, you could use the `format()` method to format the quote and the `clipboard` module to copy it to the clipboard. This would eliminate the need for manual formatting and copying, saving time and reducing the chances of errors. Additionally, utilizing keyboard shortcuts can also be a quick and efficient way to format and copy a quote, but it is important to ensure that the shortcuts are consistent across different platforms and programming languages to avoid confusion.

1. Why am I always tired and can't sleep?

There are many possible reasons for feeling constantly tired and struggling to sleep. It could be due to stress, an underlying health condition, poor sleep habits, or certain medications. It's important to talk to a doctor to determine the root cause and find a solution.

2. How can I improve my sleep quality?

There are several ways to improve your sleep quality, such as establishing a consistent sleep schedule, creating a comfortable sleep environment, limiting caffeine and screen time before bed, and practicing relaxation techniques like deep breathing or meditation.

3. Is it normal to feel tired even after getting enough sleep?

No, it is not normal to feel tired even after getting enough sleep. This could be a sign of an underlying sleep disorder, such as sleep apnea or insomnia. It's best to consult with a doctor to determine the cause.

4. How can I stop feeling tired all the time?

To stop feeling tired all the time, it's important to address any underlying issues that may be causing your fatigue. This could include managing stress, improving sleep habits, exercising regularly, and eating a healthy diet. Seeking medical help may also be necessary.

5. Can my diet affect my ability to sleep?

Yes, your diet can definitely affect your ability to sleep. Consuming too much caffeine or sugar, or eating heavy meals close to bedtime, can disrupt your sleep. On the other hand, foods rich in magnesium and tryptophan, such as bananas and almonds, can promote better sleep.