I'm told that theoretical physicist can go into investment banking

• Physics
  • Thread starter The_shadow
  • Start date

Which course?

• Quantum fields and fundamental forces.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Applied math.

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. It’s very kind of you to take time out of your busy schedule to post in this forum.

Actually, I wasn’t requesting advice for myself. I took computer science more than 20 years ago, and I’m quite happy with my choice.

I have a son who’s still in high school and likes math, computer science and business. Besides studying any of those three fields in particular, I thought the program I mentioned was a good combination of all three. In addition, I have another son already studying Physics at the undergraduate level. He’s the reason why I joined this forum – but that’s another story.

Like most Physics students, my son realizes he might not be able to continue onto graduate studies and/or to make a career out of it. So, I thought this thread could be of interest for both my sons. Just in case you’re wondering, my sons and I suggest stuff to read to one another, but we leave the decisions to each individual. Especially when it comes to career decisions :)

Also, the program I mentioned requires 5 subjects outside the Faculty of Mathematics. Students can not only take art, history, philosophy, or literature courses; but also, Latin, Religious Studies, “Sexuality, Marriage, and Family Studies”, and many others. I realize that 5 courses might not be broad enough for some people, but is certainly better than nothing. I’m not affiliated in any way with the University of Waterloo, but since I made it part of the discussion, I thought it was just fair to set the record straight.

Thanks again, and stay well,