Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm trapped

1. Jan 10, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hate it when this happens! I'm down in my office and need to get up to the house, but the wind is howling, the rain has been pounding, and fairly large branches are flying around like missiles out there. They keep slamming against the walls of my office and scaring the heck of my poor little kitty who is hiding between my feet at the moment. :redface: But this can get to be a real pain at times. The old growth tree is between me and everything else, and in a wind storm, that tree is extremely dangerous...not to mention everything else flying around. Its a good problem but this winter has been something else. We are something like 220% of normal for Jan, we were way over for Dec, and I think they have about a thousand feet of snow on the mountains. :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2006 #2
    You have a kitty in your office? That's pretty neat.

4. Jan 10, 2006 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Poor Ivan! How far away is the house?

5. Jan 10, 2006 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

300 feet, right through the trees. I think its finally starting to let up, but I have been waiting for over an hour now.

6. Jan 10, 2006 #5
    Ah. That explains the kitty.

7. Jan 10, 2006 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why Bun III her majesty, of course!

8. Jan 10, 2006 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See that's the other problem: I can't go until Bun says it's okay.

9. Jan 10, 2006 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

gotta log off in case I get a chance to run.

10. Jan 10, 2006 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good luck, Ivan!!!!!

11. Jan 10, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe you need a bed in that office too. Isn't there a couch out there? Is it a sleeper sofa? If not, maybe it needs to be replaced with one. That way, if Bun decides you're not allowed to go home at night, you can give her a whole big bed to curl up on while you find a corner to nap on until the storm ends. :biggrin:

12. Jan 11, 2006 #11

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

RUN IVAN, RUN!

Actually things have quieted down a lot, it is not even raining now. This evening and last night the wind was really whipping it up.

I have seen Ivan's old growth Doug Fir, it is quite impressive. Unfortunatly it has spent much of its life on the edge of a clearing. This means it has large limbs quite close to the ground. These limbs can be very unstable, a good stiff wind is a very dangerous thing if you choose to stand near one of these trees.

13. Jan 11, 2006 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I do have a couch and all of the comforts of home... the worst has been when the power goes out in a wind storm, which used to happen like clockwork, in which case I would end up sitting down there in in the dark. Now that really sucks. But when the wind is really howling it's like a war zone out there.

As it turns out I did take one on the head, but luckily it was a small branch and not moving too quickly. Even the little ones can be a bugger though. I had one only about an inch in diameter that punched right through the canopy on my truck a couple of years ago.

14. Jan 11, 2006 #13
    It sounds like you inherited the winter we had here last year: hard rain nearly every day for weeks and weeks.

This years has been the opposite: very little rain and no severe drops in temp.
    Last year we had several severe car accidents when large trees (eucalyptus, I think) were knocked right over onto highways.

Maybe you could keep a couple spare hardhats out in the office: one for you, a little one for the kitty.

15. Jan 11, 2006 #14

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Yeah, you'd be surprised just how hard a piece of wood can hit something in a storm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Jan 11, 2006 #15
    O.K. Never mind hardhats. Dig a deep tunnel to the house.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?